Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: MTU  (Read 9389 times)

noddy

• Reg Member
Re: MTU
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2017, 10:26:50 AM »

cheers I'll set them back see what happens  :)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2017, 03:47:18 AM »

Right, you are using G.dmt, PPPoA. Use MTU 1500. (1478 for PPPoA is a very slight performance tweak, slightly more ATM-efficient, as has already been said, I would have to do the arithmetic properly to work out exactly how much. But if I were you, I would not go that way, stick to 1500 as that way you won't have any problems, compatibility over minuscule speed increases.)

Can you confirm you are on a 20CN exchange, not 21CN? Would be worth ticking the ADSL2 tick box _in addition to_ G.DMT which you have ticked already, just in case ADSL2 works. It won't be available if you are still on a 20CN exchange.

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2017, 06:46:15 AM »

hi Weaver , yes exchange still 20cn but according to some locals will get fibre in April so I did wonder if that would mean an upgrade to 21cn ( I'll not be placing any bets on it happening  ;) ) thanks for the help

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2017, 07:43:34 AM »

If your area is getting FTTC (which is still copper, not fibre, to your house as you probably know) then they may well be upgrading the exchange to 21CN very soon, or even have already done so.

It would be worth checking, maybe another kitizens could help with that.

Just in case you have been upgraded, it would be worth enabling ADSL2 in your modem as well as G.DMT (ADSL1). In my case, using a BT Wholesale line (non-LLU), I asked my ISP to move me to ADSL2+ / 21CN immediately when I found out the exchange had been upgraded to 21CN, and the immediate upgrade cost me a whole £11. The exchange upgrade was way before anyone in the area got FTTC. (Exchange NSBFD.) Your ISP may migrate users to 21CN, it all depends on the ISP and when they get around to it. I realise I was assuming you are non-LLU there. I can't remember whether you confirmed this already. It's all up to your ISP anyway. But at least if you enable the possibility of ADSL2 you will immediately get a speed improvement the moment your line is upgraded, even before FTTC.

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2017, 07:58:40 AM »

If your area is getting FTTC (which is still copper, not fibre, to your house as you probably know) then they may well be upgrading the exchange to 21CN very soon, or even have already done so.

It would be worth checking, maybe another kitizens could help with that.

Just in case you have been upgraded, it would be worth enabling ADSL2 in your modem as well as G.DMT (ADSL1). In my case, using a BT Wholesale line (non-LLU), I asked my ISP to move me to ADSL2+ / 21CN immediately when I found out the exchange had been upgraded to 21CN, and the immediate upgrade cost me a whole £11. The exchange upgrade was way before anyone in the area got FTTC. (Exchange NSBFD.) Your ISP may migrate users to 21CN, it all depends on the ISP and when they get around to it. I realise I was assuming you are non-LLU there. I can't remember whether you confirmed this already. It's all up to your ISP anyway. But at least if you enable the possibility of ADSL2 you will immediately get a speed improvement the moment your line is upgraded, even before FTTC.

useful info Weaver our exchange NSBIR

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2017, 08:04:32 AM »

:) Broadford exchange used to have wonderful holidays in Elgol years ago  :)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2017, 08:05:39 AM »

I would need some help looking up your exchange as the usual databases like SamKnows are always way behind. Someone here will probably be able to help with this.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2017, 07:00:05 PM »

I does not necessarily follow that the Birsay exchange has to be upgraded from 20CN to 21CN equipment for a G.993.2 (VDSL2) service to be offered. The fibre head-end exchange (for the cabinet based DSLAMs) could be many miles away, on the mainland UK . . . most likely.

Here is the link to the current details, regarding the status of the G.993.2 service roll-out for the Birsay exchange, according to Magenta Systems CodeLook pages.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2017, 07:39:19 PM »

I does not necessarily follow that the Birsay exchange has to be upgraded from 20CN to 21CN equipment for a G.993.2 (VDSL2) service to be offered. The fibre head-end exchange (for the cabinet based DSLAMs) could be many miles away, on the mainland UK . . . most likely.

Here is the link to the current details, regarding the status of the G.993.2 service roll-out for the Birsay exchange, according to Magenta Systems CodeLook pages.

well  :fingers: that at the very least the connection to the exchange will improve but some how I doubt it  :(  think I let my expectations get carried away , back to two cans and string  :)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 07:42:14 PM by noddy »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2017, 08:39:39 PM »

Burakkucat is of course quite correct, I forgot about that. Mea culpa. Might be, might not be in luck. But anyway in a more densely populated place such as Orkney Mainland there's possibly good news coming when FTTC arrives anyway.

Whereas I on the other hand get left out for another five years presumably unless I smarm round someone important, or someone important comes to live in my village. Or win the lottery and cough up for 4.6 mi of FTTP if they would even sell it. ([off-topic]Wonder what they do about the exchange in such a case? Can't legitimately sell it unless there is the link capacity behind it. Perhaps they just ignore that and con you?)

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2017, 09:42:35 PM »

the superfast is up and running 5 miles from me in a near by village as well as kirkwall , stromness plus a few other area's suppose like yourself weaver we're out on the edge's  :(

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2017, 07:37:48 AM »

Judging by what's happening round here the push seems to be solely for FTTC, it wouldn't surprise me if BT intend to get rid of exchange-based DSL altogether and serve everything from the cabinet.  There's certainly no sign of them migrating any more exchanges from 20CN to 21CN, nor any interest in the subject if you try to find out.

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2017, 08:06:09 AM »

Judging by what's happening round here the push seems to be solely for FTTC, it wouldn't surprise me if BT intend to get rid of exchange-based DSL altogether and serve everything from the cabinet.  There's certainly no sign of them migrating any more exchanges from 20CN to 21CN, nor any interest in the subject if you try to find out.
to be honest I don't need superfast since our boys left home  ;) , what I would be happy with is it keeping the sync rate around 4200 which is what I get re-syncing on a calm day and holds it fine until the wind starts  :( but I've gone through all this in a previous post (out of interest )   

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2017, 08:16:11 AM »

There's certainly no sign of them migrating any more exchanges from 20CN to 21CN

All 20CN exchanges being upgraded by end 2018

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/02/bt-update-uk-fttp-sogea-3db-21cn-wbc-broadband-plans.html

Ian

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2017, 09:36:27 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything