Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Geolocation - is it rubbish  (Read 8024 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Geolocation - is it rubbish
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2017, 06:01:57 AM »

It's interesting that the services can get which ISP I use right, but not one can even place the ISP.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2017, 01:03:19 PM »

Identifying ISP by prefix must be relatively easy.  I don't know how the get end user location.   In my case from home MaxMind places me somewhere just South and West of Newcastle, so clearly miles out but not A&A's location either.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2017, 01:09:40 PM »

AA's location is in Southend with some of them. I could understand it if all ISPs were in The Isle of Dogs, or somewhere else in Central London. But I've never even seen a correct spot for AA.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2017, 04:18:37 PM »

My IPv4 address seems to be resolved as either Bracknell or Nottingham, my IPv6 to a specific address right down to street and number in Skipton and if I access a v4 only site via ipv6 it thinks I'm in Ancaster.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2017, 04:50:16 PM »

@aesmith - are you now IPv6-only? I know AA do have such a facility to do NAT for you. Perhaps I misunderstood your post.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2017, 06:20:08 PM »

@aesmith - are you now IPv6-only? I know AA do have such a facility to do NAT for you. Perhaps I misunderstood your post.
I have some hosts with single stack IPv6, using A&A's gateway to reach non-v6 destinations.  So in this context devices in my host might appear under their own IPv6 address, or NAT onto my single v4 outside address, or as the v4 address of A&A's 6 to 4 gateway.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2017, 09:28:10 PM »

As a tidbit of info, just been doing some work on my phone.

On android marshmallow there is over 120 services that collect analytics/telemetry data and report back location to google even if location is disabled in the settings.  The location setting just stops 3rd party apps accessing the API but not google's own framework.  I have disabled them all now in the interest of saving battery rather than privacy tho.

The one's I have disabled should not break things like uber and google maps which I will test later.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2017, 11:16:45 AM »

I just got a security alert from Apple due to their new 2FA system for authentication of Apple ID logins. I logged in to an iPhone belonging to Mrs Weaver and her iPad received a 2FA authorisation message that said that someone was trying to log into her iPhone in somewhere around North London, when of course it was me and I was at home in Skye. So even Apple can't remotely get it right on a device that has global routable public IPv4 and IPv6 addresses, 3G and GPS, and is on a presumably known wireless LAN.
Pages: 1 [2]