Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Anyone sign up to BT Call Protect?  (Read 3955 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Anyone sign up to BT Call Protect?
« on: March 03, 2017, 12:17:12 PM »

Did anyone sign up for bt call protect?

I'm getting sick of these callers, who seem to be now calling at 8:30am every morning waking me up  >:(

If you have signed up for it have you noticed a difference?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

licquorice

• Reg Member
Re: Anyone sign up to BT Call Protect?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 01:45:29 PM »

Pointless, most of the numbers scammers use are 10 digit spoofed numbers and are different with every call so all you will ever do is block a number that will never get used again.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 01:47:38 PM »

I think the best solution is to sign up and see how you find it.

As well as the "BT Blacklist" Call Protect does allow you to block individual numbers as well as types of calls (witheld , international etc.) as well as blocking all calls (apart from a whitelist) during specified times.

adrianw

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 08:23:35 AM »

I signed my mother up to the BT Blacklist (and the TPA long ago).
It did slightly reduce the number of scam calls, notably those showing as international or withheld.
Some scam calls still get through.

Happily, my own Plusnet line gets very few scamming calls.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 09:15:03 AM »

I had two calls in quick succession early one morning last week, each from the same number.

The first scam claimed to be from Microsoft to help me with errors on my computer.
The second scam claimed to be from the TPS, offering to help me stop nuisance calls.  :D

Amusing as I found it, it did occur to me that vulnerable people who really had signed up with TPS might just be taken in by the second of these.   I have no idea what the aim of the call was, other than it was obviously a scam.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 01:35:36 PM »

I'm going to sign up today.

Had a call at 8am yesterday morning and this morning. Both spam calls. There seems to be a lot of people named John in Africa!

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 11:40:47 PM »

Signed up a little while ago, can't be sure yet but it seems a tad quieter now.
Off the top of my head I've only bothered adding one number to my personal block list because they called twice in quick succession!

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 06:37:06 PM »

I think the best solution is to sign up and see how you find it.

As well as the "BT Blacklist" Call Protect does allow you to block individual numbers as well as types of calls (witheld , international etc.) as well as blocking all calls (apart from a whitelist) during specified times.
That's interesting, as we would not want to miss calls from doctor and the like. Do you have enter numbers one by one? I'mnot sure how effective that would be with a hospital with a switchboard number, and numerous direct dial in and out numbers  of a completely different series! :-\

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2017, 06:46:14 PM »

If you want to Whitelist numbers you can add them one by one (online) or immediately after they have called directly from your handset.

It's worth saying that if you 'block' all withheld numbers and then say your GP calls you from one - what actually happens is that  callers are invited to leave a voicemail message which you can access using 1572 (and if you use 1571 than that will also tell you if you have any new 1572 messages waiting)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2017, 11:14:45 AM »

I signed up for BT Call Protect 4 days ago. So far not 1 spam call, and we usually get at least 1 per day.

I've been waiting for a spam call to add it to the blocklist but so far none have got through! lol

insidejob

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2017, 10:17:27 PM »

Don't forget that, BT and other providers used to charge you to block say, the last number that called you which could of been a spammer, cold caller.

It's nice to have free Call blocking features now. I see plusnet have now introduced the same thing. I still had them pesky PPI calls and you have had a car accident calls. Got to laugh when you say to them, you don't drive.

Shaft

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2017, 03:32:25 PM »

I bought a Call blocker about 18 months ago and it works great, you can block Int'l and regional calls, it has an instant call block button, just hit it when they start talking, works a treat, so far I have blocked 70 number and stilll have room for another 1,000 odd.

freelander

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2017, 07:33:56 PM »

I found that an emergency whistle blown down the speaker on the hand set reduces the number of spam calls we get , I do make sure that it is a spam call before blowing it , we must be on a spammers do not call list now as since I started doing this the nuisance calls have all but stopped

anything