Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Diesel AdBlue  (Read 2569 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Diesel AdBlue
« on: July 13, 2017, 08:35:39 PM »

Anyone with a Diesel vehicle that used 'AdBlue' fluid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_exhaust_fluid
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Diesel AdBlue
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 09:02:20 PM »

Got one car at work and quite a few trucks that use it.

Why?
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 02:54:06 PM »

Got one car at work and quite a few trucks that use it.

Why?
Wondered how you get on with it.
Been looking at new cars and was told about it for the first time yesterday that some new diesel cars use it now, as someone who has run experiments on running car engines on different fuels in the past I think it is a backwards step to use Adblue system, yes I understand why they are using that idea, it could make a lot of problems for people who did not understand about it's proper use, eg. contamination and making sure they did not put it in the fuel tank  :'( .
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 06:55:12 PM »

The oldest trucks we have that use Adblue are ten years old, so in the truck world it's been around for a long time. We don't generally get many problems with the Adblue systems, the Iveco's are probably the most problematic. The only car we've got is not quite two years old, it's a Discovery Sport and we've had no issues with that.

From what I understand the cars don't need topping up with Adblue very often, with the trucks is one tank of add blue to about 3 tanks of diesel I think - it's not something I generally get involved in. It's also very common to find Adblue at filling stations, and I believe some even have it on pumps.

Adblue can crystallise when exposed to air, and this can cause blockages, but other than that it all seems to work OK.

How much mileage do you generally do, and how long is your average daily run?

Modern diesels have DPF filters, these need to get up to a certain temperature to self clean, many people have found that these block up quickly because they are only doing low mileage short runs. If this is the sort of driving you do then a petrol or hybrid will suit you better, and a petrol car will probably be cheaper to start with.

PS. In ten years I'm only aware of one truck driver putting Adblue in the wrong tank, or was it diesel in the Adblue tank. On the car we have I'm pretty sure it's under the bonnet, so unlikely to get diesel in it, but I suppose oil or water could be put in by mistake.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 06:57:18 PM by Ronski »
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Starman

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 08:13:02 AM »

We have had new transit vans arrive at work in the last 6 months which now include a small blue coloured plug which is the Adblue tank. This requires filling up with approx 20L [If you look online you can buy 10L for ~£15] of DEF fluid every ~8,000 miles - which is supplied via our internal stores system for staff to order in and we keep a small stock at the yard.

Our vans [No doubt like Openreach] spent quite a lot of time idling due to being required to run lights and equipment when working out on site so our usage of Adblue maybe higher compared to the average user.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 02:45:27 PM »

10L for ~£15  :o  ''Water with blue food color dye would be a lot cheaper in a vehicle and put adblue before the MOT''  ;D
It may not be a problem for me now as the engine in a new Vauxhall Mokka x does Not used Adblue  :)

anything