Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17

Author Topic: G.Inp on ECI Possibly Delayed  (Read 55542 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: G.Inp on ECI Possibly Delayed
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2017, 08:44:57 PM »

oops. I wasn't sure which category to add it to.

Andy seemed to be pretty knowledged up when it came to eci cabinets last time.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2017, 09:01:45 PM »

As much as I dont like the guy he tends to be accurate on the status updates as he has direct access to the portal.

I am sat here wondering have openreach been sitting on this firmware for several months and only decided to test it now because of their odd schedule where they will only rollout new stuff in spring.  It would be very annoying now if this gets delayed an entire year because they will only try it again in spring 2018.

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2017, 09:15:31 PM »

EvilShubunkin

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2017, 10:27:46 PM »

Meanwhile "ayeaye" on mydsl still has his g.inp enabled on his eci cab  ::)

Yup and a 4.8dB downstream SNR following a powercut one night and must have been one of the first to resync, although B0 FEC spiking to what seems to me to be a lot but isn't impacting on anything noticeably.
Still, I'm not rebooting that modem if I can help it  ;D

So how come my line / cabinet still has G.INP?

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2017, 10:45:58 PM »

It would be very annoying now if this gets delayed an entire year because they will only try it again in spring 2018.

My main issue with BT is they seem to be just not giving the problem any urgency.  It is a joke it takes so long for them to develop and test changes.

They picked the hardware it does not work they should get a refund from ECI and replace or turn off GINP on *all* cabinets as if it is not needed on ECI cabs it should not be needed on others.

I had a max possible connection of approx 100/30 so originally had 80/20 no problem.  It is now 58/15 and apparently this is normal for my line and due to BT continually changing the estimate values downwards due to their dire choice of cabinet not a hope of any relief if these rumours are true.

BT need to add to their disclaimer speed dependent on copper line conditions / line length and whether you are "lucky" enough to have the decent or substandard cabinets.

Assuming 30% of the cabinets are ECI I think it is safe to assume 30% of customers are receiving a substandard service compared to the other 70%

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2017, 12:53:41 AM »

Is G.INP needed when G.fast comes out?

If its not, then I wonder if they would prioritise ECI cabinets for G.fast as it'll solve the G.INP issue at the same time?

if G.INP is needed then we're screwed for G.fast.. smh

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2017, 05:42:17 AM »

Yup and a 4.8dB downstream SNR following a powercut one night and must have been one of the first to resync, although B0 FEC spiking to what seems to me to be a lot but isn't impacting on anything noticeably.
Still, I'm not rebooting that modem if I can help it  ;D

So how come my line / cabinet still has G.INP?

Not sure how,perhaps others on your cab have bt tv as I thought you said you didnt as it was thought to be left on for that. May even just be that yours slipped through the net?.. I wonder if when it gets rolled again should it ever return you may lose it briefly so perhaps it would be an early indicator changes were on the way.. Will be checking your line  ;)

Where are you located ?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 06:00:02 AM by skyeci »

EvilShubunkin

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2017, 07:43:59 AM »

Not sure how,perhaps others on your cab have bt tv as I thought you said you didnt as it was thought to be left on for that. May even just be that yours slipped through the net?.. I wonder if when it gets rolled again should it ever return you may lose it briefly so perhaps it would be an early indicator changes were on the way.. Will be checking your line  ;)

Where are you located ?

I do have BT TV which was thought to be the reason at one point.
Exchange is Aberdeen Kincorth.

Cabinet we're connected to recently (last 6 months) had a 2nd fibre cabinet installed, also an ECI cabinet. Would be interesting to see if a new line connected to the 2nd fibre cabinet would get G.INP - sounds like it wouldn't. Annoyingly, cabinet around the corner is also getting a 2nd fibre cabinet - just got placed last week - and it looks a lot larger so I assume is a Huawei.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2017, 10:20:09 AM »

It was round about October that they stopped adding additional ECI cabinets to existing ECI and started using Huawei instead.

New lines on the 2nd cabinet wouldn't have G.INP. They likely won't on your cabinet either. Your line having G.INP doesn't mean anyone else on the same cabinet does. It's an individual line DLM profile.

The few examples where it remains on ECI cabinets have all had BT TV at the time the rollout was halted. DLM resets seem to remove it permanently. Taking BT TV after the fact makes no difference.
Is G.INP needed when G.fast comes out?

If its not, then I wonder if they would prioritise ECI cabinets for G.fast as it'll solve the G.INP issue at the same time?

if G.INP is needed then we're screwed for G.fast.. smh
Completely irrelevant. Adding a G.Fast pod with G.INP next to an ECI cabinet without it wouldn't help anyone on the ECI cabinet. They are completely independent of each other. It would only help those taking G.Fast. It's best to just forget the fibre cabinet even exists when it comes to G.Fast.

G.Fast will likely have some error correction like G.INP. It may be named something different, I have no idea.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2017, 10:48:26 AM »

They picked the hardware it does not work they should get a refund from ECI and replace or turn off GINP on *all* cabinets as if it is not needed on ECI cabs it should not be needed on others.

Please don't suggest that - G.INP gains me 6 or 7 Mbps (from 35 up to 41 / 42) on a Huawei cabinet. :no:

BT really need to sort this as the current inequity between the cabinet types is appalling. :(
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2017, 12:01:25 PM »

Completely irrelevant. Adding a G.Fast pod with G.INP next to an ECI cabinet without it wouldn't help anyone on the ECI cabinet. They are completely independent of each other. It would only help those taking G.Fast. It's best to just forget the fibre cabinet even exists when it comes to G.Fast.

G.Fast will likely have some error correction like G.INP. It may be named something different, I have no idea.

Yes that is why I was asking.

The more technology the Huawei cabinets can support we'll start the see a speed divide between the 2 types of cabinet.

G.fast will be a leveller. It'll bring people left behind in speed back closer together using G.fast. So I'm wondering if G.fast will be prioritised for ECI cabinets. Then they won't need to fiddle around with G.INP much.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2017, 01:13:40 PM »

99% of customers don't know the difference between the 2 cabinet vendors. OpenReach probably will deploy G.Fast at ECI sites first, but only because ECI cabinets were used on the initial commercial FTTC rollout. The commercially viable cabinets will get done 1st again.

It doesn't level anything up though. The majority of customers will keep FTTC. I'll never get G.Fast. I really can't see OpenReach going deeper into the network and using nodes on a large scale.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2017, 03:43:43 PM »

hauwei was in the earliest commercial rollout cabinets. 

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2017, 07:48:02 PM »

Please don't suggest that - G.INP gains me 6 or 7 Mbps (from 35 up to 41 / 42) on a Huawei cabinet. :no:

BT really need to sort this as the current inequity between the cabinet types is appalling. :(
I think everyone knows I am just venting that is why no one replies.  At least I know one person has got my point - BT should fix the ECI cabs before bringing even more improvements to the Huawei.

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2017, 08:01:12 PM »

99% of customers don't know the difference between the 2 cabinet vendors.

Here in my old fogey cave I agree with you but I bet there would be more of an unroar if people knew the ECI cabs that BT used were so much worse and people pay the same for the privilege to use them. 

I am going on a road trip soon (i'm not but I promise I will stop venting soon).  My car is 15% slower and 15% less fuel efficient due to me being unlucky the manufacturer chose two suppliers for a part but I got the dodgy one.  They only use the one that works now but they say the dodgy part is working fine.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17

anything