Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Which ISP promises to improve your speed  (Read 3278 times)

Cliff_G

Which ISP promises to improve your speed
« on: February 23, 2017, 10:10:50 AM »

I recall a posting here a while back, but my searches have failed me (both here and Google), of an ISP who will take over your ADSL line and promise to get you a better speed.

Can anyone recall the name?

Thx in advance

jaydub

• Reg Member
Re: Which ISP promises to improve your speed
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 10:28:47 AM »

Not sure anyone will make that promise as there are too many facors outside of their control, however if I had to pick one that would give you the best chance of improving your speed it would be Andrews & Arnold (https://aa.net.uk/).

Cliff_G

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 11:13:05 AM »

That's the one.  With that I managed to find the thread - post 2 of http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,18370.0.html

Thanks

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 06:56:39 AM »

I doubt they say they can improve your speed. They will attempt to fix your line if it's broken, in some sense that presumably you would have to come to agree upon, and give you your money back if they can't get it sorted. So AA are brave enough to actually want to take on customers with problems, as they really do try to sort BT etc out.

They can only do so much though, because if they can't persuade eg BTOR to do anything (by leaning on them) then you are out of luck. This could include situations where they know in advance that BTOR won't be willing to take action. Just so you know that their god-like powers are limited, of necessity, until such time as such small ISPs can gain more control over BT (in an ideal world).

See https://aa.net.uk/broadband-trial.html

There are also a number of things which they (and we) can try that might well improve speed and reliability, involving possible changes to wiring, change of modems and filters. You may very well have done a lot yourself, but otherwise putting in some time and money can sometimes give substantial improvements, as in my case.

"Bonding" : With AA you can also double, triple, or more, your internet connection speed if you can order more copper lines, because AA can combine them into a single n-times speed pipe. This is what I have done. It requires (i) cash, and (ii) being lucky enough that AA can order extra physical lines (from BTOR - or is it BTW or Talktalk Wholesale) without being landed with a horrendous connection charge, and (iii) the right kit at your end. This isn't usually a problem for one additional line afaik. I have three lines combined, and it really does give triple speed individual downloads, and also uploads with the right kit. I think there are other ISPs who can do this too. AA can even do this for you using lines that you bought from someone else, that is, not from them.

[Moderator edited to merge three consecutive postings into one.]
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 09:56:35 PM by burakkucat »

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 12:57:24 PM »

I suggest that you post details of your issues on here and we can advise whether changing ISP is likely to achieve anything.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 04:18:26 PM »

I'd throw a guess the issue is the suspected REIN detailed in the post the OP quoted.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Cliff_G

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 07:06:53 PM »

Sorry, "get you a better speed" was the best I could briefly type at the time.  Appreciate all the foregoing comments. 

And of course if your line is broken / noisy / many dropouts and your target SNRM has gone to 12 dB and the line then gets fixed, it will indeed be faster afterwards.

This is actually info to pass on to someone else locally, but we are all wondering (post re REIN is correct/my suspicion) whether a more committed ISP such as A&A might make progress even on this issue.  Would discuss it with A&A up front as of course REIN is often an intermittent problem and not easy to find by the more obvious fix methods.

Of course, if anyone knows how to get BTOR out to a whole rural community who are suffering much the same problems across many properties, please shout.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 08:30:30 PM »

Concerning the 'whole community' thing, it might be worth having a quick chat with RevK, the boss, who is a good guy, and very easy to get hold of. See what he thinks.

I know the 'whole community' thing, because when the one and only bundle of copper conductors into the village gets trashed, everyone is liable to get the same problems, and it has happened that I see a problem on two of my lines around the same time.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2017, 08:31:12 PM »

And please do keep in touch and let us know how you get on? Good or bad.

Cliff_G

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2017, 08:49:27 PM »

Sorry to be dense but I searched the members list for RevK and Rev but no hits

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2017, 09:19:14 PM »

Revk is the owner of Andrews and Arnold, he's not a member here.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrews_%26_Arnold

http://www.revk.uk
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Cliff_G

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2017, 11:44:22 AM »

Thanks

anything