Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: New BT Boss throws down the gauntlet to OFCOM  (Read 2599 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
New BT Boss throws down the gauntlet to OFCOM
« on: April 24, 2008, 11:00:56 AM »

Nice to see the new BT Boss Ian Livingston actually having the balls to stand up publically and say what some of us have been saying for years....  that theres no way BT are going to spend billions of £'s updating their network when other TeleCos can come along and cherry pick.

No other Telco in the UK has to do this, and in some respects OFCOM is actually preventing advancement of DSL services by placing such tough restrictions at BTs door.

From TimesOnline

THE new BT chief executive, Ian Livingston, is challenging the telecoms regulator Ofcom to make sweeping changes to his company’s universal service obligation (USO) before he will commit to investing billions of pounds in a new fibre-optic network.

He wants firmer assurances from Ofcom chief executive Ed Richards that BT will not be left with soaring running costs and thinner profits if it installs fibre optics designed to carry a growing volume of television programmes and data to homes.

“We will not spend material amounts of money that will guarantee that we lose money for shareholders,” said Livingston, who takes over from Ben Verwaayen in June. “It’s just not going to happen.”

The key definition of its obligation – rooted in BT’s history as a state-owned telecoms monopoly – is that it must offer a fixed-line service at an affordable price for anyone in Britain who wants one.

“We want changes to the USO to reflect a fibre world,” he said. “There are 200-odd service providers. Why should all the USO fall on BT Retail?”

Nice one Ian!

This ridiculous situation that OFCOM put BT in...  is now very much leading to a two tier broadband service in the UK as I and others  predicted several years ago.

------------------------------------------

We also need the monopolies commission to do a reality check. 
With Tiscali up for sale - I can just imagine what is going on right now behind the scenes.

" BT have put a bid in for Tiscali
oh dear - cant have that because that makes BT a monopoly
CPW have put a bid in for Tiscali
Thats OK -  No problem"

Erm - slight oversight - CPW would then become the monopoly!

Come on - BT is a National Company who at least attempts to provide adsl to all parts of the UK and I know BT have their faults but honestly who would you like having the monopoly ISP - BT or TalkTalk?   -  No contest!

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
Re: New BT Boss throws down the gauntlet to OFCOM
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 08:54:23 PM »

Hi Kitz

I think the current situation was imposed on BT when the market was opened up before broadband really took off.  Clearly a different ball game now and if we are to get a 21st century network then we need some positive thinking and action.  Having said that can't see me getting fibre optics, not enough houses.

gom

tnp

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 12:14:11 PM »

FWIW My view is that BT has a de facto monoply over teh 'last half mile' and indeed of a lot more than the last half mile for the majority of UK subscribers.

It doesn't make economic sense to run cables or fibre from half a dozen suppliers to everybodies door.

Ergo, there will always be a monopoly. Thats the first issue.

The second issue is the value of the infrastructure to the nation: Again its incalculable. To get traffic of fthe monopoly supplied ROADS we have to put as much as possible over the Internet. So its in the country's interest to have te best high speed network going everywhere.

That argues for a state regulated infrastructure, not a commercially driven one.

So teh final issue is, whopays and how?

Well, in the final analysis we, the taxpayer or consumer, pay.

BUT how we pay is a good question.

I argue for a partial re-nationalisation of BT at the infrastructure level, where the de facto monopoly exists. Like Railtrack or whatever its called these days, there needs to be a commercial but NOT FOR PROFIT operation dedicated to implementing new infrastructure at a common cost to all carriers.

That is politically more acceptable than out and out re-nationalization, which risks turning BT back into the inefficient behemoth it once was.

I.e. that copper and teh last mile circuits, together with the fibres and microwave links to them, become public property.

The kit in the exchanges, and the services offered, are the private competing parts of the overall business.

This is the only way I can see that BT can be freed of its need to make a profit for itself using what is essentially a monopoly network. And ensure  good connectivity irrespective of geographical location.

Something like a 'bond for share' swap would take place with BT's shareholders..Shares would be replaced with fixed income bonds in the new company. Further capital could be raised in the same way, and a charter drawn up and regulated by OFCOM. Any surplus profit would go either to more infrastructure, or be given back to customers.  The aim being a 99.9% coverage  with fiber in say 15 years.

This is the only politically acceptable way in which I can see BT's conflict of interest being solved. It should have been done from the word 'go' with the services and customer equipment supply being privatised as a normal commercial enterprise, and the infrstructure privatised in a not for profit state regulated (but NEVER state RUN) monopoly. We don't want another NHS do we? 8)

I wonder which party 'has the mettle to grasp the nettle'..some years back, when BT's share price was similar to what it is now, a telecoms analyst remarked that BT was worth about 4 times its current value if broken up..

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 01:20:23 PM »

1. The UK is heading towards a bigger recession than the 1980s.
2. The govt is out of cash - despite appearances the UK is just the same.
3. Both parties (Labour and Conservative) view nationalisation as something that's much less politically (and presumably morally) acceptable than, for example, bombing other countries.

Don't hold your breath for any "partial renationalisation" tnp :)