Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Are there faster powerline adapters?  (Read 1202 times)

kezzaman

• Reg Member
Are there faster powerline adapters?
« on: February 22, 2017, 09:09:44 PM »

hi everyone,

I think i already know the answer to this but you never know. Just got virgin fibre 200 yay, at the moment im using powerline adapters leading to a second router in my bedroom upstairs and the distance is causing me to lose half the speed, so down to around 100. im using 500mbs adapters so im not hitting the limit. Anyway to the point, are there adapters that would improve the speed? Also apart from losing download speed are there any other downsides to using these adapters? im using them to game aswell as normal internet stuff.

Codescribe

• Just arrived
Re: Are there faster powerline adapters?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 01:01:25 AM »

With powerline, the theoretical maximum speed is half the number. Therefore with your 500 ones the maximum is 250Mbs.  Depending on the wiring this figure will be reduced.

You can get 1200 powerline which might give you the 200 Mbs you are looking for.  I use the Devolo 1200 ones and they are really good.  The control panel application for them shows you how fast the connection is.  This differs for each of my powerline plugs. You just need to remember to divide the figure specified by 2.  For instance one of my plugs shows the speed 730 so I can get just over 350 Mbs through it.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: Are there faster powerline adapters?
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 08:06:33 AM »

If you search the forum you will find that many here think these things should never have been invented as they often cause big problems with noise and FTTC/ADSL connections. So be very wary of them, if you use them and then have an unreliable connection the first thing to do is remove them to see if the problems go away.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP