Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Line Banding  (Read 1308 times)

Archetype486

Line Banding
« on: February 22, 2017, 09:51:23 AM »

Moderator Note: This topic has also been posted to the ThinkBroadband Forum.

This may be of interest to some:

Back on 16/12/16 I got my line banded to 59998 downstream, 20000 upstreem then 26/12/16 60000, 20000. This stayed the same, sometimes going 60000, 19997 or very close to 20000 upstream. I have had a SNRM 6.8db and 6.2db respectfully. This got banded due to faltly face plate that I changed but also changed my modem from HG612 to Zyxel VMG8924-B10A. I am using these in bridge mode with a pFSense box as my router.

I moved from BT to iDNET on 16/02/17 and originally synced at the exact same stats. I was expecting this as they use BTW. A few hours later the DLM kicked in at removed G.INP and applied an interleave level of 886. This obviously caused my sync and attainable speed to drop and fluctuate slightly with no round numbers, I assumed that a DLM reset had occurred.

DLM action on 20/02/16 removed the interleaving an I was on fast path for both upstream and downstream with a slight increase in sync speed.

This morning the DLM applied G.INP on my line and my line is back to 60000, 20000 with the same 6.8db and 6.2db.

I know there is not much room for improvement in my sync speed with this margin. It is more for information as I though it looked like a DLM reset has been done but I assume it was not a full reset.

MyDSLStats name is Archetype.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 05:32:49 PM by burakkucat »

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: Line Banding
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 02:49:44 PM »

That's kinda standard. Product changes/ISP/DLM profile changes often leave banding in place. Seems it's not quite a full DLM reset. Only an engineer/dcoe manually performed DLM reset guarantees removal of stuck banding.

We've had a number of instances of users here upgrading product, or changing ISP, and having their banding follow them.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Archetype486

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 05:03:10 PM »

Yeah I didn't think it would have had a DLM reset changing providers but when it removed G.INP I was hopping.

Not to worry. I know I haven't got the worst banding and I still have a stable line. Was hopping to get one of the new profiles though as I ended up on the trial last year and it was stable.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 05:17:02 PM »

We've had a number of instances of users here upgrading product, or changing ISP, and having their banding follow them.

John I do hope that last part is incorrect as my line is banded due do numerous re-syncs per day and move to another ISP this week.