Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Is my Zyxel VMG8924-B10A faulty ?  (Read 11445 times)

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
Re: Is my Zyxel VMG8924-B10A faulty ?
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2017, 07:21:46 PM »

Seems to me that they are asking if you can doublecheck your modem's settings with your ISP?

If you're able to put screenshots here (removing any password) than someone here may be able to help - they should be as laid out at http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/zyxel_VMG8324-B10A_vdsl_setup.htm

spotter

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2017, 07:44:40 PM »

Thanks for the reply, i thought that is what they meant.

I followed that guide when I set it up and tried the VLAN 802.1P setting as zero which is on the plusnet guide, 2 and 1. everything else was as per that example.

It connects perfectly for a short period of time but usually within an hour the connection just drops out and the orange flashing light sequence starts.

When i  first contacted plusnet they told me the router was making too many requests and told me to perform the hard reset and enter the settings back in which I did and this worked again for a short period of time which makes me think the settings are ok unless there could be something that would cause it to drop out after an hour of working perfectly?
Thanks

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2017, 07:56:03 PM »

Sounds to me like it could be heat related, once something reaches a certain temperature it plays up.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

spotter

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2017, 08:01:54 PM »

That is my thoughts, i tried an alternative power supply which I thought had cured it but same thing after an hour of being on it died again.
i have replied to Zyxel customer support so will see what they say..
Thanks

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2017, 10:08:19 PM »

You will know when the PSU is the problem on your modem/router the signs are very dim light emitting diodes on routers display with connection issues and once you replace the faulty PSU the LED's will become bright again and connection is good again.

spotter

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2017, 10:40:12 PM »

I don't think it is power supply, i tried the alternative one I had and the same problem after an hour or so..
Thanks

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2017, 11:05:43 PM »

I don't think it is power supply, i tried the alternative one I had and the same problem after an hour or so..
Thanks

I know that just letting you know how to diagnose a PSU fail on a modem/router your Zyxel is dying a slow death  :(

spotter

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2017, 08:00:18 AM »

I may be on to something else but i don't have time to test it until tomorrow night. But one thing I noticed is during one of the tests i hadn't set up the WIFI password and when i did it almost immediately cut out and on having a google there are quite a few examples of the same problem with different brands of hardware.
It could still be my hardware dyding and i haven't added any new phones or computers to my wifi but it is worth a check.
Thanks

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2017, 08:05:12 AM »

Was wi-fi turned off? As that would require less power and probably generate less heat, and if it's AC wi-fi that would require quite a bit of juice.

spotter

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2017, 08:24:21 AM »

wifi wasn't off but i hadn't set up the password so nothing could connect to it, my PC is connected by cable.
Apologies, what is AC wifi?

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2017, 10:28:56 AM »

It's the latest available type of wifi and works on the 5ghz frequency.

aam

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2017, 10:39:16 AM »

You will know when the PSU is the problem on your modem/router the signs are very dim light emitting diodes on routers display with connection issues and once you replace the faulty PSU the LED's will become bright again and connection is good again.
Unfortunately whilst this can occur it is not always the case with failing, or misbehaving, power supplies. The most troublesome ones are when the power supply, or more frequently the associated circuits, starts to go out of spec as the components warm up. I've seen many examples where a device will seemingly be working fine when plugged-in, but when actually carrying out it's designed functions, and putting extra load on the circuits, it will not. A couple of examples.

A HG612 would drop sync to the dsl line and not re-connect easily. Visually, when not connected to the dsl line, the device and all the led's would seem fine. It turned out the the power supply was slightly out of spec but it was only noticeable when the dsl line was connected, with extra current being drawn whilst the device was trying to sync. Swapped the psu and all was fine. Then on another HG612 with identical symptoms a replacement psu did not help. It was an intermittent board-level circuit fault and the easiest and quickest thing to do was swap it. 

Similarly a Zyxel router (NBG series) was visually working fine but would have problems keeping a connection even though everything was fine for months. The unit was swapped-out under warranty, worked fine for a few months, but it too failed but this time in it's entirety. It turned-out that Zyxel had used capacitors in this and several other models by a company called Teapo that were notorious in failing. On opening it up the Teapo caps were swollen and one had gone bang. It was swapped again under warranty but this time I immediately opened and replaced the Teapo capacitors with Panasonic ones on this and several other units. I was very disappointed with Zyxel for not addressing the real issue of them using sub-standard components during manufacture. 

Intermittent issues can be some of the most time consuming and most difficult to track down. I much prefer when something totally fails and you can easily spot the fault. It's a bit like trying to track down those elusive intermittent HR (crackly phone line) faults that disappear just when an engineer turns up to look at it. So much easier if the joint or cable fails totally.

Hopefully Zyxel will promptly swap Spotter's unit under warranty without too much trouble. 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 10:48:18 AM by aam »

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2017, 01:55:51 PM »

One of the issues with a second user VMG8924 is that people think it uses the same PSU as the VMG8324 and that is NOT the case. The VMG8924 needs a higher amperage than the VMG8324. People have reported that the VMG8924 is very unreliable with the VMG8324 PSU. In this case if the router was new and came in an unopened box then the PSU 'should' be of the correct specs.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

spotter

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2017, 06:14:15 PM »

Thanks very much for the in depth replies , I am away tonight but have picked up an email from Zyxel who are being great to be fair. They have asked me to check the routers error log and sent me instructions on how to read or set it up as whenever I have looked at the log it is just the headers and a blank page.
I had an intermittent crackly phone line for a long time but it is only when it goes completely and the BB drops do I contact them otherwise BT try and charge £120 if they can't find a fault which is what happened to me even though I had no BB connection. It was only when a BTW engineer visited did they fix it in no time and refunded me the cash.
It had just happened again recently whereby I lost phone and BB slowed which is originally why I thought it was an ongoing line problem but of course my free issue modem and router is working ok.
I'll post back with an update but failing hardware certainly makes sense.

spotter

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2017, 07:38:49 PM »

Just a quick update, Zyxel support have been excellent and I have emailed them the logs from the router and they have replied straight away confirming that they believe it to be an internal power issue as you guys have suspected and they have asked me to complete an RMA request and so I imagine they will want me to return it to them to be repaired or replaced.
Their replies have been very prompt and professional, it has been me taking the time due to work.
Stand by for an update   :)
Thank you all
Pages: 1 [2] 3