adsl spacer  
Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ITU seeks to double video compression  (Read 985 times)

Weaver

• Kitizen
  • Retd sw dev; A&A; 3 7km ADSL2; IPv6; Firebrick
ITU seeks to double video compression
« on: February 13, 2017, 11:09:57 AM »

See ISPreview -
    http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/02/possible-boost-broadband-itu-seeks-double-video-compression.html

Absolutely superb for someone like me, just need a seriously powerful CPU to be able to keep up if streaming.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: ITU seeks to double video compression
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 01:39:48 PM »

I've worked with various video editing software for many years, though I'm no where near an expert. I know since H.265 technology came in it become easier to compress a file to less than half the size of a H.264 file without losing quality.

I've seen a few examples over the last year. A 21 minute file using H.265 at 1080p is around 315MB. The same file using H.264 is 1.4GB.

I've noticed people using H.265 tend to only encode in 1080p or 720p. People still using the H.264 will use 1080p, 720p and 480p.

I think H.265 is within reach of 4K through some manipulations.

I just hope the technology we have can be updated to be able to use H.266 faster than it took devices to catch up to using H265.
BT Infinity 2 - HG612 & Asus RT-N66U - ECI Cab

Ignitionnet

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 06:10:23 PM »

As always it's about fast enough processors to decode the stuff in real time, however with the advent of GPGPUs and nVidia pushing out some quite tasty mobile chips with the Tegra X2 coming soon hopefully the combination of raw power and the additional instructions to accelerate decoding will mean software and firmware upgrades will suffice by the time the standard is ready.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 09:00:58 PM »

Also that media companies can be very slow to adopt new technology.

NBC still uses flash, sky silverlight.  Whilst both those can work with h.265 it shows how often they review and update their streaming platform.

Netflix I expect to be the first to adopt out of the big players.

They also have to consider what benefits the most users, lots of older hardware doesnt accelerate h.265 but does h.264 so if 265 was rolled out they would need some kind of way to detect if older hardware is in use and then fall back to 264.  If they did that of course it also would mean all content would need 2 copies.  So not a simple matter.

Google are favouring their own propriety type solution VP9, which isnt supported by many operating systems regardless of hardware.  I had to install an addon to force h.264 to be used instead for better cpu utilisation.

https://youtube-eng.googleblog.com/2015/04/vp9-faster-better-buffer-free-youtube.html
Sky Fiber Pro - Billion 8800NL bridge & PFSense BOX running PFSense 2.4 - ECI Cab

Ignitionnet

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 10:42:45 PM »

Google are favouring their own propriety type solution VP9, which isnt supported by many operating systems regardless of hardware.

VP9 is open source?

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 11:29:05 PM »

Seems to be partially open source https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VP9

What I meant by support is acceleration from the GPU, even android phones dont accelerate VP9 (yet).

Windows only accelerates on the latest build of windows 10, wasnt backported to windows 8 and 7.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 11:31:06 PM by Chrysalis »
Sky Fiber Pro - Billion 8800NL bridge & PFSense BOX running PFSense 2.4 - ECI Cab

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 11:10:48 AM »

Yes I had trouble playing back h.265 videos on the tv, even through my dvd usb drive, and that wasnt that old.

Maybe these devices can have a firmware update.

I can understand why google uses VP9, to put that extra barrier there to stop these ripper programs from grabbing everything. Though as you have said, its easy to get around.

A lot of companies still use .flv files. It's possible to convert them to .mp4 files. FLV reminds me a lot of RM (from the Real Player era).
BT Infinity 2 - HG612 & Asus RT-N66U - ECI Cab

BigJ

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 09:30:55 PM »

The Alliance for Open Media (founding members Amazon, Cisco, Google, Intel Corporation, Microsoft, Mozilla, and Netflix) are working on the new royalty free codec AV1. Still early days it seems though.