Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: DSLStats Docker  (Read 26437 times)

andyfitter

• Reg Member
Re: DSLStats Docker
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2017, 05:28:12 PM »

Thanks. Tried it both ways and still reported as wrong by MDWS

Current time here is 17:25 BST

A shell running inside the live Docker container reports it as this:
root@rossallan-dslstats1:/# date                                               
Tue Apr  4 17:25:01 BST 2017   

TZ env var in the Docker instance is set to
TZ=/usr/share/zoneinfo/GB

Yet MDWS still says this:
User andyf - Please restart DSLstats which is still reporting time in GMT! User Clock is one hour slow.

Bah.

andyfitter

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2017, 05:29:17 PM »

Just had a thought... Maybe the environment I'm seeing in the Bash shell fired up inside the Docker instance isn't the same as what DSLStats is seeing?

Edit: Seems that way. Looked at the stdout log being written and the timestamps are out by an hour. Time for more investigations.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 06:07:04 PM by andyfitter »

andyfitter

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2017, 03:51:38 PM »

Have installed Docker on my Mac and am seeing exactly the same issue, so it isn't synology specific. Have tried both with and without the command line params suggested.

Time zones (and DST) inside Docker seem to be a big problem - the web seems to be riddled with people asking for help, and many proposed solutions..

nallar

• Smokeping
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2017, 06:35:52 PM »

Make sure the localtime volume is not set, then run the following inside the shell in the docker image:

echo "Europe/London" > /config/etc/timezone
dpkg-reconfigure -f noninteractive tzdata

Then restart the container.

Failing that, will be able to look into this on Sunday.
Virgin Media cable, A&A ADSL. OPNsense router.

andyfitter

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2017, 09:40:13 PM »

Thanks, much appreciated.

That seemed to lead me mostly on the right track, but it occurred to me that maybe the file being written into /config/etc/timezone wasn't being picked up within the running container.

What seems to be the last step needed it to add a file mapping from /docker/config/etc/timezone into /etc/timezone within the container

All seems OK now. Thanks for all your help.

nallar

• Smokeping
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2017, 06:51:23 PM »

New version available.

Timezone should now default to Europe/London without requiring any messing around.

Lock file which might be left over in /tmp is now cleaned up fixing an issue which could cause it to fail to start.
Virgin Media cable, A&A ADSL. OPNsense router.

ip75

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2017, 09:30:49 PM »

Just set this up on my Synology, and it works really well, thanks! I can now retire or repurpose my Raspberry Pi.

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2017, 09:54:20 PM »

I'm still struggling.

Using

docker run -d --name="dslstats" --net=bridge -p 10000:5900/tcp -p10001:8080/tcp -e "VNC_PASSWORD"="password" -v /Users/Jon/Broadband/Documents/dslstats:/config -v /Users/Jon/Documents/Broadband/dslstats/config/etc/timezone:/config/etc/timezone rossallan/dslstats

or

docker run -d --name="dslstats" --net=bridge -p 10000:5900/tcp -p10001:8080/tcp -e "VNC_PASSWORD"="password" -v /Users/Jon/Broadband/Documents/dslstats:/config -v rossallan/dslstats

I'm still getting it coming up with the wrong timezone.

I don't doubt it's me doing something stupid.  Any ideas?

andyfitter

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2017, 10:02:10 PM »

Hiya. Sorry I've not replied sooner, been a bit busy this week. Will rake a look in the next couple of days. My suspicion is that the timezone file hasn't been created in the right place.

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2017, 02:47:02 PM »

Got it working with the correct timezone by using nallar's pre-created container and tweaking some of the parameters to suit.  Thanks, Ross.

I still can't get Andy's docker cli command line to stay on the correct timezone.

One quick question though.  Should the DSLStats configuration settings be saved in the location mapped to the config folder?

At the moment I am having to reconfigure DSLWebStats each time I start the application.

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2017, 03:29:59 PM »

Now got the preferences saving as well.

I seemed to find a way of stopping Kitematic in its tracks, by changing the port allocations,.  Not sure why, but will just leave them as is.

All looks to be working well now.

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2017, 04:25:35 PM »

I'm still struggling.

Using

docker run -d --name="dslstats" --net=bridge -p 10000:5900/tcp -p10001:8080/tcp -e "VNC_PASSWORD"="password" -v /Users/Jon/Broadband/Documents/dslstats:/config -v /Users/Jon/Documents/Broadband/dslstats/config/etc/timezone:/config/etc/timezone rossallan/dslstats

or

docker run -d --name="dslstats" --net=bridge -p 10000:5900/tcp -p10001:8080/tcp -e "VNC_PASSWORD"="password" -v /Users/Jon/Broadband/Documents/dslstats:/config -v rossallan/dslstats

I'm still getting it coming up with the wrong timezone.

I don't doubt it's me doing something stupid.  Any ideas?

Certainly me doing something stupid with the second command line above.

For the record the following statement works:

docker run -d --name="dslstats" --net=bridge -p 10000:5900/tcp -p 10001:8080/tcp -e "VNC_PASSWORD"="password" -v /Users/Jon/Documents/Broadband/dslstats:/config rossallan/dslstats.

The only significant difference being that I'd managed to leave an extraneous -v in there.  :-[

andyfitter

• Reg Member
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2017, 04:57:28 PM »

Glad you managed to sort it out. Sorry I wasn't around to be of more assistance!

Andy.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2017, 06:06:28 PM »

I am struggling to understand the benefit of running this in a docker? I am not a fan of docker anyway, but whats the purpose of what you guys are doing?  I mean I assume the machine thats hosting the docker could just run dslstats directly right with less complications?

andyfitter

• Reg Member
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2017, 06:07:32 PM »

Its a Mac or a Synology box. It can't run it natively unless Im missing something quite fundamental?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6