Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Where can I buy a junction box to use for spur wiring x4 ?  (Read 27525 times)

setecio

• Reg Member
Re: Where can I buy a junction box to use for spur wiring x4 ?
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2008, 08:34:58 PM »

Yes indeed Ezzer, thanks for those nuggets of info, very helpful.

When you say
"Also if your using the full adsl face plate in your nte then there is no problem with using the first 3 wires in the extention cable as an out put and using the other spare 3 to run back in the other direction."

I'm not sure what you mean, could you explain that bit ... do you mean in a 6 strand (3 pair) cable ? If so how do you do that ?

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2008, 02:21:54 AM »

I thought I understood it earlier... now I don't fully - perhaps Ezzer is best to explain it!!
Chris

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2008, 10:22:28 AM »

Its what the BT engineer should have done in my house when he installed the faceplate (back when engineer installs were the norm).

Basically he moved the master socket from the front of the house to the back and converted the old master to an extension. What he should have done is disconnect the existing cable from the old master and wire it to the new master, then "backwire" the old master as an extension by using the spare wires in the cable. What he actually did is to wire both sockets in parallel (what Ezzer calls "star wiring") - basically he left the old cable in situ and added a length of wire to the new master. It took me a while to work out that he'd done this and rather than have someone else come out again I just put a filter on the old master.

That probably doesn't help does it? :D

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2008, 09:12:56 PM »

Sorry I'll clarifi this point, As in Rizlas case if thre is a situation where the only way to feed a master socket and then service the extentions means using the same cable (6wire or 3 pair cable) then this would need the full adsl face plate on the nte to avoid "reflections" ie digital signal running up a pair of wires which are picked up in reverse by a pair of wires in close proximity running back the other way. (Ezzer anaolgy time again) It's like reading a soaking wet news paper which is held up to the light, you get the reversed print showing through, making what your reading very difficult to read.Or if you have a faulty cassette tape player which picks up the sound in reverse from the other side at the same time your listening to the main side.

Having the extentions fed back along the same cable which feeds the nte (lead-in) is normaly a big no no. The full dsl face plate would be a fudge around a situation where this is unavoidable as you no longer have a digital signal comming back the other way.

It's unusual to have to feed back the extentions down the same cable rather than spurring off and off hand I can't remember why such a situation should come about after the nte

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2008, 09:24:52 PM »

It just came back to me where feeding the internal extentions back down the same cable was needed, en extention feed along a very very tight pitched roof space where I had to crawl  throught an 18 inch high void past a water tank and over 2 vent pipes and only room for one cable into a flat roof void to feed the oil tank monitor unit then to feed an extention in what could become a granny flat/ rented out annex, so without having to crawl though that space again (and definately no way of running a second cable without taking a flat roof up) the annex extention could be disconnected from the utility room in case the annex was seperated and rented out.

How could I forget that afternoon, I hated that job, completely covered in glass fibre insulation, black dust and bat/rat droppings, I came out like a fluffy coal miner and itched all over  >:(

marionette

• Just arrived
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2010, 03:03:01 PM »

sorry to drag up a old topic but seems to at alose for a answer to my own problem. I'll start off with a basic layout of my adsl/phone cabling and what im hoping to fix/work etc.
my phone wiring has been a total mess since some sky bod came round and installed the sky box in here's how it was: from master socket to adsl filter, 1 cable to router 1 to a second phone 2way adapter with 2 cables for the sky (multi room 1 upstairs 1 downstairs) then the phone line onto the 2way adapter. I've spoken to a few people including a bt engineer (who kindly gave me a adsl/phone master with the built in bt accelerator for free) Ive got as far as changing this and it's helped some what, but now to the problem: i was hoping to run a phone cable from the back plate of the adsl/phone plate to a junction box (i got a PHILEX 8way junction box from B&Q) then run 2 cables off the junction box to phone sockets (1 for upstairs 1 for down stairs) is this possable with the junction box i have? have i gotten the wrong one? were can i find a wiring diagram if it's possable?

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2010, 03:23:07 PM »

I keep a few old PO junction boxes in case I ever need them, but haven't used one in ages. 2 reasons:
1. If I want a junction I just put a small phone socket in and use it as a junction box too.
(Some can be really unobtrusive; I've got a couple that are about 5cm tall, 3cm wide and 2 cm deep with the socket on top.)
2. With cordless phones I've disconnected/removed many/most of my extension sockets.

Remember, you only need 2 wires connected anyway.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2010, 03:53:15 PM »

Except, don't use wire 3, only 2 and 5.
Modern phones don't need wire 3 (bell wire).
Using the bell wire upsets ADSL.
If you have an old phone that doesn't ring as a result just plug it into a filter, that recreates the signal locally. (I do this for one favourite handset)

marionette

• Just arrived
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2010, 03:55:59 PM »

were can i find a wiring diagram if it's possable?

http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wiring/UK_telephone/uk_telephone.html

http://www.telephonesuk.co.uk/wiring_info.htm

Ye checked both them sites. Was handy for colour coding but didnt see anything about wiring up the junction box for the 1 in 2 out i was looking to do.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2010, 04:17:36 PM »

That's all you do, 1 in 2 out for each wire.  8)

marionette

• Just arrived
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2010, 04:53:17 PM »

Ok just so im clear on the back of the master socket there are 3 idc connectors numbers 2,3,5 (blue/white for 2, orange/white for 3 and white/blue for 5) the main adsl cable runs off the adsl port on the master socket. the connectors on the back are my starting point that go to the junction box ( i asume this cable will match the points on the master box 2,3,5) but on the junction box there numbered 1-4 each side with 8 slots again each side. So on one side of the junction there would be 3 wires and 6 on the other side as to were and how im un-clear about. the 2 cables that come out of the juntion will go to phone points were if need be i'll use filters if needed. thanks in advance for your input it's making things alittle clearer in my head!

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2010, 05:00:25 PM »

No idea, I don't know that junction box and it's internal structure, just use a phone socket as I do.

As I said, you only need to join all the 2's together and all the 5's, so you only need 2 to use terminals.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2010, 05:03:13 PM »

As suggested above, disconnect the orange/white wire from terminal 3 in the master socket, and don't connect it anywhere else. Just connect pins 2 and 5 using the colours you mention. It doesn't matter what terminals you use in the junction box; all you have to do is connect through so that pin 2 on the master is connected to pin 2 on each extension socket, and pin 5 on the master is connected to pin 5 on each extension.
  Eric

marionette

• Just arrived
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2010, 05:32:40 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything