Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Worth upgrading router to latest broadcom chip on adsl2+ ?  (Read 2103 times)

digit101

Worth upgrading router to latest broadcom chip on adsl2+ ?
« on: February 09, 2017, 08:58:31 PM »

Hi, i have a Technicolor 582n, my line is very stable and I get 18.5mbit sync speed.

Is it worth upgrading to a newer broadcom chip modem? I have heard the BCM63168 is better for adsl? If so what kind of speed increase am I likely to get? 0.5mbit?

Thanks

stevebrass

• Reg Member
Re: Worth upgrading router to latest broadcom chip on adsl2+ ?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 11:08:23 PM »

Hi, i have a Technicolor 582n, my line is very stable and I get 18.5mbit sync speed.

Is it worth upgrading to a newer broadcom chip modem? I have heard the BCM63168 is better for adsl? If so what kind of speed increase am I likely to get? 0.5mbit?

Thanks

I don't know. But you would not see any practical difference if it was .5 mbs.

If you current set up works. - leave well alone.
Netgear Orbi; BT FTTP with Smart Hub 2

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 11:19:20 PM »

I agree with the above. The possible gain wouldn't be enough to notice, and it's also possible that you'll end up with a lower speed. There's no way of knowing without trying it.
  Eric

highpriest

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 11:37:00 PM »

You may not gain anything on the ADSL side of things but a newer router will give you other advantages like 5 GHz wireless, 802.11ac and gigabit ethernet which should give your home network a performance boost. The newer, faster chipset could give you better routing and performance gains on the internet side of things too.
Zen | Zyxel VMG8324-B10A (with RFC4638 patch) | EdgeRouter PoE | UniFi AP AC Pro + Lite

digit101

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 01:43:21 AM »

Ah ok, I'll leave it as it is then.

I have it linked with Asus router so the wifi is actually pretty good now, was useless with the 582n.

babis3g

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 05:43:56 PM »

As mentioned unless you need the AC wifi & better possible feature, to me (i am not in UK any more, but i don't think it matters as using adsl annex A) the latest broadcom chipsets are not so stable their firmwares with adsl
My line seems suffers from REIN because several telephone poles are together with electricity cables (now if is illegal or not this is an other story) ...
I have the zyxel vgm 1312 (BCM63168) and while the snr target is stable (not drops) when there are sudden errors burst (from time to time) is amount of time when will be disconnection ... other modems  chipsets (draytek, asus) are keeping the line way better (no disconnections, maybe once a week i reboot manually because are millions of errors)
With the zyxel everything started with firmware VMG1312-B10A_1.00(AAJZ.4)C0 & later (beofre was fine) ... seems they have focus with vdsl in their firmware & have forgotten adsl with latest firmwares
Other older broadcom supporting only adsl are fine (billion 7800, 7700 / tp link 8960v5 / dgn2200v3 which i own)

EDIT ... & note i am at broadcom exxchange (appearing as BDCM:0xa3a7) where should match algorithms and should be better (as other brand models)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 05:47:43 PM by babis3g »