Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: N.I.T.S.  (Read 1267 times)

JGO

• Reg Member
N.I.T.S.
« on: February 04, 2017, 10:32:26 AM »

Are others irritated by the people who " aren't into technology "  ? 

I doubt if it is true; I'm thinking particularly of a (then) unique sewage processing plant. The staff would demonstrate the purity by drinking from the output. Do the N.I.T.s refuse anything except an earth closet at the bottom of the yard ?  I doubt it.

It seems to me that refusing ANY technology ( with private exclusions ) is just as bad as enthusiastically embracing anything  however badly conceived.

What do others think ?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: N.I.T.S.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 11:23:06 AM »

One of my closest friends is "not into technology". The odd thing is that, when she was working, she was a VMS system manager for a bank. But since retiring she views anything to do with technology with great suspicion. It was only about a year ago that she finally got a very basic mobile phone for emergency use. She still uses a dial-up internet connection by choice, not necessity (and endlessly complains about websites which take a long time to load :) ). I've given up trying to persuade her to move into the 21st century.

I don't really understand her motivations. She's perfectly capable of handling computer equipment, and I'm always available to help with any problems, but she prefers to stick with what she's got. It's a bit frustrating sometimes, but I just have to accept that it's the way she is.
  Eric

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: N.I.T.S.
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 11:44:37 AM »

I used to get frustrated with my brother (49yrs old now), who always contacted me to 'Do this or do that' when he needed anything doing.
It wasn't the 'doing', it was the fact he point-blank refuses to get involved with modern tech that got maddening.

A few years on and he's still happily not involved in todays on-line activities. I've given up trying to convert him, and have come to appreciate that what suits some doesn't suit others. As much as it may come over as strange to those who are tech-savvy, it doesn't mean those who aren't are right or wrong, it simply is their choice.

As everyone on here will agree (or they wouldn't be on here otherwise), I think moving with the times is crucial, or we'd still be stuck with no wheel and be bl00dy cold. Thankfully, the individuals who point-blank refuse to accept technological advances are in the minority.