Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Five arrests in 'fully loaded' Kodi streaming box raids  (Read 6019 times)

niemand

• Kitizen
Re: Five arrests in 'fully loaded' Kodi streaming box raids
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2017, 12:09:49 PM »

I remember being 'that man', Chunkers. Forever beating the drum about ethics and morals.  :)

I realised I was pretty much in the minority when the pub chatter turned to watching the latest films, (without paying £5.99 per film, on top of the 'Movie package you already bl00dy pay for) ...... plus all the sports to boot.

It was embarrassing admitting how much my monthly subs were to SKY, and the minimal reward I got for it. Far from being able to take the moral high-ground, I actually felt like a damned fool. So, I took the plunge and haven't looked back.

The obvious response is that no-one forces anyone to take premium TV, and access to it isn't a right. If getting minimal benefit from Sky don't subscribe.

My worry is that as this has apparently become completely acceptable and is so easy the blokes down the pub are doing it some horrendously illiberal laws will come down to deal with it that will have a bunch of collateral damage.

If there were ways to get broadband or phone service without paying for it would people be okay with that?

phi2008

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2017, 12:56:16 PM »

I hope you don't mind, but every one of us have a moral compass. We all know right from wrong, even if we do not admit it, our inner voice tells us 

Religious people often see themselves as "moral" yet carry out appalling crimes to serve God, or turn a blind eye to religious evil. They would argue God can never be evil, but funnily enough they are never on the receiving end of the worst of it. Very easy to endure suffering when it's somebody else's.

People should be very careful before playing the morality card ... glass houses etc.

As for pirated content I don't think there is any way to secure material. HDMI uses HDCP to secure devices- you can buy HDMI splitters for £20 that also strip HDCP, leaving a copyable stream, from Amazon UK - or Ali Express for about £10. You can strip HD or 4K - anything that outputs to HDMI can be copied perfectly.

Sky actually flash up box IDs on some live broadcasts - so if they're watching a pirated live stream they can actually trace the ID back to the user.

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2017, 01:02:27 PM »

Hi phi2008

Many thanks, but sorry, I was not referring to religion, just the moral compass for doing the right thing, not the wrong thing

I intentionally do not enter into religious or political posts

Many thanks

John

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2017, 02:22:06 PM »

If the price of the product was cheaper then more people would buy it.

At a certain price point someone will weigh up what its value and worth is. I think most people wouldn't want to pay the guy at the pub for these services if a near as cheap official version was affordable, with all the added benefits that come with it. Isn't this really how non-BT/OR companies operate, by trying to offer cheaper packages than BT/OR.

I think it would be more financially beneficial to lower the price and get more customers.

@Ignitionnet - If the price of broadband became too high then people would look for ways to hijack others wifi and the like. Or the product would just crash.

People are more ruthless these days. But I think the tone as been set by some of the big companies. Trying to squeeze money from middle England means poor England dropped out of the conversation years ago.

Some of the companies these days are so disconnected from their customer base it is amazing they survive. I suspect they live off a past good brand. Nintendo springs to mind.

Business men ruling the computer world  >:(
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2017, 09:31:01 PM »

Whether or not you think a copyright owners price is too high buying from an unlicensed source is theft.

I think BMWs are too expensive. Is it acceptable for me to buy off somebody who has stolen one? No. If a product is too expensive for you to buy legally then don't buy it.

technically its not theft, its copyright infringement, two different things.

also you comparing a digital product to a physical product.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2017, 09:35:23 PM »

The obvious response is that no-one forces anyone to take premium TV, and access to it isn't a right. If getting minimal benefit from Sky don't subscribe.

My worry is that as this has apparently become completely acceptable and is so easy the blokes down the pub are doing it some horrendously illiberal laws will come down to deal with it that will have a bunch of collateral damage.

If there were ways to get broadband or phone service without paying for it would people be okay with that?

I see your point, but what we seeing here is a market reaction, it shows people are prepared to pay for the content but do not value the content at the same price sky do.  It is not legal of course., but it is interesting to observe whats going on.

A big factor today is the fact because we have the internet, its easy for people to compare what UK viewers pay compared to oversea's viewers and the difference is colossal on football.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything