Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: ECI connected customers, no 3db profile  (Read 26159 times)

stevebrass

• Reg Member
Re: ECI connected customers, no 3db profile
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2017, 11:32:31 AM »

To be fair autumn starts September 22. 
Netgear Orbi; BT FTTP with Smart Hub 2

RayW

« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2017, 03:01:02 PM »

To be fair autumn starts September 22.

I always thought it was the 21st (with the 20th being autumn equinox), but either way its still summer ... :o

--

Ray

smallal

• Reg Member
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2017, 03:17:17 PM »

Thanks for the link to the appropriate thread.
As for bugging people too early my point was that testing was supposed to have started during the summer in some 'pilot' areas.
The fact that there haven't been any reports of re-activation from these areas (wherever they are) is worrying if an autumn roll-out is planned.
I shall follow the above link with interest.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2017, 04:35:10 PM »

The fact that there haven't been any reports of re-activation from these areas (wherever they are) is worrying if an autumn roll-out is planned.
Not really. The chances of a user on here being on 1 of the few cabinets this will 1st be being tested on is extremely slim. It's more likely it won't be seen till a phased rollout begins.

I think we'll hear news of a rollout before we actually see it.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2017, 05:45:03 PM »

Apparently BTWholesale published on August 16th something about an upcoming "ECI Retransmission Trial". So any trial / testing presumably has hardly started yet.

Beezer

• Just arrived
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2017, 12:22:21 PM »

The lower dB DLM profiles move in 1dB stages. A jump to 3dB is a classic power cut/DSLAM reboot. The DSLAM firmware is still 206 also. I would expect to see a newer firmware testing G.INP for an ECI line to have a 3dB target.

OpenReach skipped ECI users from the 3dB rollout because of the lack of G.INP. Seeing as though they appear to have sorted that out it doesn't make sense they wouldn't wait for the G.INP rollout to apply the 3dB changes.

This may have been caused by a power cut, but now it's happened again and I've been on 3db for 6 weeks or more. G.INP is still not activated.

If you look at the graph below, the 1st blip is the 3db episode mentioned in this thread. It switched back to 6db for a while but has been at 3db for ages now.

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2017, 10:01:00 AM »

Hi

Quite a few VDSL lines will work quite happily at 3db, it's a margin after all, just less of one. 

So something could have happened where you've sync'd back at a higher sync speed with the normal 6db margin, perhaps because of a wide area event like a power issue and you sync'd up first.  As other people come back online cross talk increases and the margin decreases, but if your line is happy on 3db it will remain there.

The one way to test if you are on a 3db margin is to power recycle the modem/router and let it resync back up, if it remains at 3db then yes you have a 3db profile on an ECI cabinet, if it's back to around 6db, you didn't.

Regards

Phil

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2017, 02:44:08 PM »

Looks like a trial is in the works: http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,20352.0.html

The good news is that the operator has been developing a solution for ECI kit and they’ve now informed ISPs that a Proof of Concept is ready to be tested on a subset of related FTTC / VDSL2 lines, which will take place from 20th October 2017. PoC’s are typically designed to test new technical solutions and do not usually reflect a large trial (although a larger trial may follow later if the PoC works well enough).

I wonder who the lucky few will be?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2017, 03:13:15 PM »

I'm not sure that Lucky is the right word. Without G.Inp a lot of ECI users will end up with less stable connections.
  Eric

Beezer

• Just arrived
« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2017, 10:16:08 AM »

Quite a few VDSL lines will work quite happily at 3db, it's a margin after all, just less of one. 

So something could have happened where you've sync'd back at a higher sync speed with the normal 6db margin, perhaps because of a wide area event like a power issue and you sync'd up first.  As other people come back online cross talk increases and the margin decreases, but if your line is happy on 3db it will remain there.

The one way to test if you are on a 3db margin is to power recycle the modem/router and let it resync back up, if it remains at 3db then yes you have a 3db profile on an ECI cabinet, if it's back to around 6db, you didn't

Phil, I wasn't brave enough to deliberately reset my router and potentially lose my better performance, but I have had several more power cuts since the last post & each time it's synched again at less than 3db. It remained stable on 80/20. I guess when I'm officially on a 3db profile all will continue to be well :)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2017, 02:00:04 PM »

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/12/openreach-pause-uk-trial-g-inp-fix-eci-fttc-broadband-cabs.html

In an unsurprising development Openreach has paused a trial of Physical Retransmission ReTX (G.INP) technology for their troublesome ECI based FTTC “fibre broadband” street cabinets. The technology works fine on their Huawei estate but ECI has long been the naughty child.

Looks like we're going to remain in the slow lane longer.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2017, 02:42:04 PM »

Thankfully they say it is just a pause due to Xmas etc it should get an expanded trial in early 2018.  I really hope so as I am on ECI.

If they can get Ginp working correctly I hope there is a chance they will look at 3db.   

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2017, 02:59:33 PM »

yeah this is just for the holiday break.

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2018, 05:03:57 PM »

Does anyone know if the ECI Ginp trial is back being looked at after the XMAS break or is it too early to know?  Tia

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2018, 06:36:15 PM »

It's not a Christmas break as such,  more of a Winter break.
It's usually late March/April they start these things.
If the smaller trial was running successfully it might start back up.
I'd guess April for any full ahead rollout of anything.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 06:41:47 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6