Computers & Hardware > Networking

Yet Another pfSense Build!

(1/7) > >>

displaced:
Must be something in the tap-water here, but I've been inspired to do a pfSense build too.

I've gone for one of these Qotom boxes, adding my own 4GB RAM and a 64GB mSATA board.

I currently have my Apple AirPort 802.11ac router performing gateway and PPPoE duties, with a home server (an HP MicroServer N40L) running DHCP and DNS (as well as a ton of other stuff).

I'm planning to shift all my 'infrastructure' services onto the pfSense box.  I'll also be able to simplify my cabling somewhat.  At the very least, with the pfSense taking over from the AirPort, I'll be able to do the fancy routing needed to get stats and WAN access from the HG612 over a single Ethernet cable instead of the two needed now.

My MicroServer's been running FreeBSD for years, and I've hand-configured isc-dhcpd, powerdns and all that gubbins on it.  But it seems much tidier and dare I say secure to have specific hardware for these sorts of things.  Doesn't sit quite right having my DHCP server on the same machine as my Minecraft server ;)

I'm playing with pfSense in a VM on my Mac until the hardware arrives.  I'm very, very impressed.  It's rare to find a GUI that logically presents even the most advanced options for configuration.  Plus, I'm a big fan of FreeBSD, so it's nice that it uses all the software I know well under the hood.

So, if anyone's interested, I'll keep updating this thread as and when stuff arrives and gets built.  Currently pondering the mission required to clean out and organise the cupboard under the stairs.  And picturing the pfSense box and the gigabit switch being mounted to the underside of one of the stair risers.  Nifty.

(small things, small minds, etc... ;))

Chris

displaced:
Oh, a quick thought:  Can anyone remember if changing port settings/network configuration on an HG612 causes a reboot/resync?  I'm currently enjoying a stable line about 8Mbit faster than my alleged attainable rate due to a quick sync after a local power cut.  I'd like to keep that if possible, naturally :)

roseway:
Changing the port settings doesn't trigger a reboot (as far as I can remember), but beware of making a change to the port you're using to access the GUI, because that may lock you out. If that happens you'll have to do a factory reset of the modem.

displaced:
Got it -- thanks roseway.  Measure twice, cut once :)

burakkucat:
I know it's not something you would really like to read but I always advise caution when changing the configuration of any of the Huawei EchoLife HG6xx family (HG610, HG612 & HG622) via the GUI. Hence I recommend that the HG612 is disconnected from the xDSL circuit (and any other LAN doings) before it is reconfigured.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version