Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Figuring out cause of my dropping line sync  (Read 1471 times)

pingles

• Just arrived
Figuring out cause of my dropping line sync
« on: February 04, 2017, 08:02:44 PM »

Hi,

I've had my line for about 10 days- performance has been alright although I've had a few drops which in the early days I put down to DLM, recently its been adjusting downwards more :(

My line's attainable is reported as 57Mbps and I've had syncs in the order of 50-55Mbps for most of the time. But, in the last few days, its dropped to 43Mbps. I just setup a Raspberry Pi to pull the stats from the Zyxel VMG1312 modem and plot at MDWS (same account name there).

When I had the line installed I'd asked it to be a new line but OR decided to just activate the existing line. The line runs through the wall to a porch/hallway and then out into a box which is fixed under the roof and then connected to the line that comes from the pole. I'd guess this line is probably about 5-10m long. I've attached pics to see whats going on (OR sent an engineer out to connect the old socket- he put a new cover on for the outside box- wires were hanging out before).

I'd love to know whether people think the current wiring could be a big factor, or whether there's data in the MDWS to suggest is noise/interference etc.

Thanks!

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: Figuring out cause of my dropping line sync
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 09:44:40 PM »

Your Hlog & QLN looks good I take it your old master socket was updated to NTE5a with a SSFP MK2 or MK3 and you have been using a Vigor 130 in the past there does seem to be a DLM cap on your line at the moment.

As you have just started to upload to MDWS did you notice any random disconnections on your modem/router in the past.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Figuring out cause of my dropping line sync
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 10:12:47 PM »

I think we will need to see a few days worth of statistics via MDWS but, having reviewed your earlier posts, there is a possibility that either the circuit is banded or the DLM process needs sufficient time to recover from your previous usage of the Draytek Vigor 130.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.