Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Disconnections after upgrading internet speed, should I get a new router ?  (Read 4643 times)

New_router

• Just arrived

Hey guys
So I upgraded my internet speed to "up to 16 MB" and since then I'm facing some problems.
First of all my router is a Thomson TG585 v7 which is about 7 years old and here are my stats :
After 20 minutes :

Uptime: 0 days, 0:20:18

DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 741 / 16.383

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0,00 / 0,00

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,5 / 19,0

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 14,5 / 19,5

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 5,5 / 8,0

Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / BDCM

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote): 0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 1 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 14 / 2.399

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 14 / 42

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 459.224 / 35

After 9 hours :
Uptime:   0 days, 9:00:10

DSL Type:   G.992.5 annex A

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:   741 / 16.383

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]:   0,00 / 2,00

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:   12,5 / 19,0

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:   14,5 / 19,5

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:   5,0 / 8,5

Vendor ID (Local/Remote):   TMMB / BDCM

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):   0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):   0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote):   0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote):   0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote):   10 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down):   131 / 48.871

CRC Errors (Up/Down):   131 / 769

HEC Errors (Up/Down):   459.589 / 691

The problem is that the internet disconnects and the router resyncs sometimes at the same modulation and speed and sometimes at a lower speed and modulation (g.992.1 or g.992.3 for example).
What I suspect is that the SN margin for the upload keeps getting lower so the router disconnects and resyncs and that problem repeats.

As you can see the errors get very high and reach tens or hundreds of thousands. HEC up are already high at the beginning but keep increasing.

I tried installing a different firmware that showed the maximum bandwidth and it showed that my line had a max of about 18000 kbps down but only 700~750 kbps up and that firmware only connected at g.992.5 annex M US 60 and as I understand that annex attempts to reach the highest upload speed and that caused the router to sync at an upload speed higher than the max by a few kb  so I rolled back to a previous firmware.

I already contacted my ISP and told them the above many times but they didn't know what I was talking about and kept insisting that I was connected at my maximum speed (8 MB at the time) and that I should be grateful I'm getting that speed ! until they sent a technician who checked the line and I finally could connect at 16 MB but the upload problem is still the same.
My question is what causes these problems and how can I fix them ?
Could the router be the problem and it can't handle the speed ? The ISP offers a ZTE ZXHN H108N, what do you think about it ?
Sorry for the long post.

snadge

• Kitizen
Re: Disconnections after upgrading internet speed, should I get a new router ?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 04:23:33 AM »

Sorry I personally cant be of much help ATM as its been so long since ive been using ADSL that I cant remember what figures are normal (or to be expected) in errors , someone who hasn't been away from the scene for 2 years and has poor memory like I have will be along to help soon  :-[

- for one ignore the FEC errors as thats normal, they are corrected errors, its the CRC's you need to concern yourself with - this is when the error/data couldnt be corrected and a re-transmit of said corrupted packets is requested

I would take a gamble here and say that those figures dont look too dodgy to me... but as I say ive been off the xDSL scene for years, only recently coming back to it...forgot bits of what i spent years on here learning lol

if your ISP has put you on ADSL2+ then it should be connected at G.992.5 ...which it is ..completely ingore Annex M as you wont get this working as your ISP wont support it, this slows the download down by 2Mb and places that onto the upload spectrum (thereabouts)..but like i say it wont work so dont force it, also dont be repeatedly booting the router as DLM will think there is a fault and start trying to stabilise the line

There is definitely something iffy as your SNR is 8db  - default is 6db, so it must detect noise ingress, your upload should be 1.3Mbps but I dunno who your ISP is and how they set their DLM to operate, some like sky set slower uploads to slower downloads speeds on ADSL2+ (or they used to)...but usually anything 16Mb sync and over get the full 1.3Mb on upload..and the SNR would normally be higher...as its low im guessing that it also has noise ingress on its spectrum, thus closing the gap on SNR

I would try a different router, try and get a newer Broadcom (BDCM) based chipset router as that matches your ISPs DSLAM (Vendor ID) - your current router is Broadcom but Thomson Firmware TMMB, I dunno if you'll be locked out of Telnet access...but BCM chipsets are great performers AND allow advanced telnet access

who is your ISP?

I dunno if your router can run Router Stats for 24 hours? then show us the graphs of SNRM/Errors etc etc over time , such as:

CRC's over 38 hour period on graph below - what looks normal (between those blocks) is certainly a few hundred CRC's a day..but everyone is different, it all depends on lots of different things such as set up in the home, possible interference, line quality and much more, if you get a new router that has telnet access then you can pull Quiet Line Noise , SNR and Bit-Loading graphs from that...as well as recording error and line data for 24-48 hours.. once we have said data then one can determine if the amount of errors is about normal for that connection, some people might get a few hundred CRCs per day and not even notice it - however if yours is dropping out then more info would be needed such as the stats i mention, also how often does it drop out? do you have any telephone extension sockets around your home? if so, do you use them and do they have filters on them? can you hear any noise/crackling on the line? (just dial '0' and listen)

- this graph below is someone on PlusNet who suffered those spikes from lightening & thunder storms
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

New_router

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 08:20:16 AM »

First of all thanks for your help.
My ISP is TE data (Egyptian ISP).
I don't have any noise on the phone.
I use a splitter on the main cable, one branch goes to the router and the other goes to the phone.
The splitter looks like this

I will get a test router and monitor the stats and see what happens.
For the mean time here are the stats after the router disconnected and synced at g.992.1 :

Link Information

Uptime:   0 days, 6:30:31

DSL Type:   G.992.1 annex A

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:   672 / 10.464

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]:   0,00 / 1,00

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:   12,0 / 19,5

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:   14,5 / 17,0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:   7,0 / 7,5

Vendor ID (Local/Remote):   TMMB / BDCM

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):   11 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):   1 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote):   0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote):   0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote):   48 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down):   6 / 18.949

CRC Errors (Up/Down):   6 / 1.002

HEC Errors (Up/Down):   5 / 713

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 08:30:06 AM »

That just looks like an ordinary phone splitter and not a micro filter, which separates out the ADSL frequencies from the voice frequencies.  If your router is at your master socket, then a faceplate filter works best otherwise it's a 'soap on the rope, micro filter.

Pictures of both at:

http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/adsl-faceplate

New_router

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 08:33:08 AM »

These are the specs for the ZTE router :
https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/zte/zxhnh108n
What do you think ?

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 09:07:21 AM »

First of all thanks for your help.
My ISP is TE data (Egyptian ISP).
I don't have any noise on the phone.
I use a splitter on the main cable, one branch goes to the router and the other goes to the phone.
The splitter looks like this

I will get a test router and monitor the stats and see what happens.
For the mean time here are the stats after the router disconnected and synced at g.992.1 :

Has anyone noted OP is using an Egyptian ISP? Can it be assumed therefore that the given answers will fit his situation?

@ New Router Where are you? @ Seniors?

New_router

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2017, 03:33:49 PM »

I don't think the problem and/or answers will be different across ISPs ?

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2017, 10:23:18 PM »

What country are you in ?.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

New_router

• Just arrived

batata

• Just arrived
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2017, 01:52:16 AM »

Hello...look some lines can hold to higher speed but it wont be stable that's why your ISP assigned 8mb for you as this is proparly the best balance between speed/stabilty for your line ...you need first try to use line without splitter directly to the rauter if the problem continued ask your ISP to return your speed to the stable 8mb (it will gets downgraded automaticly anyway even if you didnt ask)....good luck
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 01:55:05 AM by batata »

New_router

• Just arrived
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2017, 04:44:49 PM »

Hello...look some lines can hold to higher speed but it wont be stable that's why your ISP assigned 8mb for you as this is proparly the best balance between speed/stabilty for your line ...you need first try to use line without splitter directly to the rauter if the problem continued ask your ISP to return your speed to the stable 8mb (it will gets downgraded automaticly anyway even if you didnt ask)....good luck
Are you with tedata too ?  ;D