Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: BT Openreach Adding G.fast to “Fibre Broadband” Availability Checker  (Read 9197 times)

ktz392837

• Reg Member
Re: BT Openreach Adding G.fast to “Fibre Broadband” Availability Checker
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2017, 06:04:30 PM »

Is there any updated estimated gfast speed graphs using line length and attenuation?

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2017, 06:11:59 PM »

Here is one from Alcatel.

I've also attached one from an article which is an estimate of what G.Fast may achieve with the new standards in development.

Source for 2nd graphhttp://www.electronics-eetimes.com/design-center/advanced-simulations-gfast-vectoring-co/page/0/2
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 06:19:15 PM by S.Stephenson »

highpriest

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2017, 06:19:54 PM »

A thing to remember is all of the gear out in the field now is 1rev stuff, revision 3 gear should allow 300mbps at 300m.

But chances are, the first gen kit will never get replaced so you almost don't want to be part of the initial roll-out ::)
Zen | Zyxel VMG8324-B10A (with RFC4638 patch) | EdgeRouter PoE | UniFi AP AC Pro + Lite

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2017, 06:23:34 PM »

Hopefully BT will replace the older ones this time as they don't have many ports.

If not then its just typical BT :D

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2017, 07:10:34 PM »

so the modified improvements are not significant especially at the higher distances.

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2017, 07:40:02 PM »

Those graphs are interesting for me I think my line would need a closer pod as at 400-500m I would be at the limit of the technology. 

Would anyone be happy to guess as some attenuation figures for the line lengths?  Would 16-17db be at the 400-500m end?

Looks like I will be stuck with my ECI cab for many years to come.

Is there any information on how closer pods may be deployed?  I can "see" 3 cabs from my house but typically I am connected to the furthest away one.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 07:44:49 PM by ktz392837 »

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2017, 07:54:06 PM »

Well my line is 14.4db and that is roughly 350m which makes G.fast pretty crap...

However because they are attaching the G.Fast pods to the old cabinet a g.fast line would be 300m for me.

In regards to which cabinet it will come from it will be the one you are currently connected to, the pods would be standalone further down the line and would have nothing to do with preexisting cabs.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2017, 08:00:58 PM »

Would anyone be happy to guess as some attenuation figures for the line lengths?  Would 16-17db be at the 400-500m end?

I don't think guessing is much use as they just vary too much, my line is 450 to 500 meter and is 21db, current sync is 47.7/6.2
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2017, 11:41:12 AM »

Well my line is 14.4db and that is roughly 350m which makes G.fast pretty crap...

However because they are attaching the G.Fast pods to the old cabinet a g.fast line would be 300m for me.

In regards to which cabinet it will come from it will be the one you are currently connected to, the pods would be standalone further down the line and would have nothing to do with preexisting cabs.

I think its going to be pretty crap for most people. The people who would benefit most, and most likely to pay for it, won't get the benefit much.

I do wonder how BT came to the economic decision about putting nodes next to the cabinet is worth it.

Also what happens if your in a grey area at 300m and order G.fast to get an extra 30Mbps.. then 12 months later they put a node 100m from your house, will they re-route you to the node? Because its going to be a pain in the butt if you're then stuck at 300m because you bought early on.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2017, 12:31:13 PM »

I think its going to be pretty crap for most people. The people who would benefit most, and most likely to pay for it, won't get the benefit much.

I do wonder how BT came to the economic decision about putting nodes next to the cabinet is worth it.

Also what happens if your in a grey area at 300m and order G.fast to get an extra 30Mbps.. then 12 months later they put a node 100m from your house, will they re-route you to the node? Because its going to be a pain in the butt if you're then stuck at 300m because you bought early on.

My personal guess would be because of the necessity to power the G.fast kit ?? To 'forward power' to remote deeper nodes, will require spare capacity in the ongoing D-side cables. The side-pod solution is the most obvious choice for the time being.

highpriest

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2017, 12:45:07 PM »

Wasn't there a plan to power the pods using electricity from customers?
Zen | Zyxel VMG8324-B10A (with RFC4638 patch) | EdgeRouter PoE | UniFi AP AC Pro + Lite

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2017, 01:32:50 PM »

Wasn't there a plan to power the pods using electricity from customers?
I would be very surprised at that. I wouldn't be keen on the possibility that my node could be turned off because old Mr Smith next door was having done work done.
They would need a feed to tap into (like a lamppost) or unused D-Side pairs.
FTTrn trials main issue was power. It cost just as much to power a small node as it did for an entire DSLAM. Last I read OpenReach were trying to see if it was possible to aggregate power between various nodes, but I've no idea if that was successful.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

highpriest

• Reg Member

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2017, 02:29:02 PM »

From what little I've read and can recall from memory ............. the 'reverse power' situation is far from favourable as it is reliant on EU's.
The 'forward power' method and the use of stand-alone 'power-pillars' are the preferred method.

Now, that said it could all have changed as I've not kept my ear close to the ground recently. Got fed up with it all.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2017, 02:46:44 PM »

Rings a faint bell after reading that. Still sounds like a horrible idea to me. Relying on a single domestic supply for a group of customers broadband is asking for trouble. Forget to put a few pennies on the meter and bye bye broadband. Switch off the modem and go on holiday and again bye bye broadband.

Perhaps workable if the power was generated between all on the node and would continue to operate if 1 or 2 went offline. Might be ok for unique locations where there are absolutely no other power sources available. Bad idea for large scale deployments imo!
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM
Pages: 1 [2] 3