Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ADSL 1 or 2 or 2+ ?? for my line  (Read 1671 times)

batata

• Just arrived
ADSL 1 or 2 or 2+ ?? for my line
« on: January 31, 2017, 05:12:07 PM »

hi ..first im not from europe ..i want advice on which type i should use based on my state
my ISP contract is up to 16mb ...although they gave me 7mb iknow its based on my line quality ..but i want higher speed if its possible so im giving different adsl type a test and want to know which one could give me higher speed if any based on my line quality
first
ADSL+2  ---  Down stream attenuation= 41.1~    SNR = 7
ADSL 2 ----   Down stream attenuation= 38.2~    SNR = 6.5
ADSL 1(G.DMT)-- Down stream attenuation= 36.5~  SNR= 12

as you can see each one gives me different numbers idk if changing to one another would even change my optained speed at all..the ISP test the line every 5days

..........thanks
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 06:02:37 PM by batata »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: ADSL 1 or 2 or 2+ ?? for my line
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 05:36:51 PM »

Welcome to the Kitz forum.

I would advise anyone not to use G.992.1 (G.DMT, ADSL1) as G.992.3 (ADSL2) uses the same number of sub-carriers as G.992.1 but uses them more efficiently.

So the choice comes down to either G.992.3 (ADSL2) or G.992.5 (ADSL2+). In theory, G.992.3 (ADSL2) has a potential maximum of 12 Mbps downstream whilst G.992.5 (ADSL2+) has a potential maximum of 24 Mbps downstream.

I would suggest that you configure your modem/router to use G.992.3 (ADSL2) modulation and check the performance over a period of a couple of weeks. After that time, reconfigure the modem/router to use G.993.5 (ADSL2+) modulation and again check the performance.

I suspect you will find that G.992.3 (ADSL2) probably gives you the best performance.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

batata

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 05:58:12 PM »

thanks for the reply ...the reason i posted this is that i found different numbers in each adsl type ..
if you would explain to me why adsl 2 ..gives lower down stream attenuation than adsl +2  ? and would that make a difference for the optained speed the ISP gives me ? i know they assign speed based on line quality ..in other words this change in numbers is real improvement ? or fake and attenation is already fixed as we know .

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 06:11:21 PM »

The difference noted in the measured line attenuation for the three modulation modes is due to the number of sub-carriers used (for each specific modulation mode) and the algorithm used to calculate the value.

As we know, there is a (static) length of metallic conductors for the circuit in question and the laws of physics do not change with a change of modem/router's modulation mode.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

batata

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 10:57:47 PM »

thanks burakkucat  ill change it now