Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: HG612 - Showing higher than achievable speeds  (Read 2359 times)

SignedAdam

HG612 - Showing higher than achievable speeds
« on: January 31, 2017, 01:33:54 PM »

My line has always been 32993 kbit or less, I see people getting 300 mb and feel let down by BT, because we are paying more to support BT, but are getting less for it,

* BT Fiber option 1

Today I saw (see attachment)

Does this mean BT are capping our line at 34993 kbit but we should be getting 39608 kbit,

I've seen around the forum things about g.imp, do I need to tick a box some where or does it automatically work, with out any box being ticked, how do I even know if its working or not by looking at the HG612 logs, debugging logs so on,

Or do I have to many errors or interference on the line, to get the speeds we are paying for, because we are not getting the minimum speed of 40 mbs, we are getting 32 at the most, heres a speedtest http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/2587696414 the modem has been connected for half an hour up time, because I've been seeing if the new smart hub, hub 6 would give any change, there was no change so I'm back to the modem with my netgear r7000,

« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 01:48:17 PM by SignedAdam »
I'm a geek on his own

ejs

• Kitizen
Re: HG612 - Showing higher than achievable speeds
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 04:55:42 PM »

Considering the SNRM is 6.1, that doesn't really indicate there's any room for more speed (assuming the target SNRM is 6). The max attainable rate is probably unrealistically high due your line using FEC+interleaving. The max attainable rate calculation was rather loosely defined in the original VDSL2 ITU documents, and the max attainable rate may be calculated using different parameters that what your line will actually be using.

SignedAdam

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 09:41:17 AM »

Thank you for answering my question, do you think I could have interference on our line
I'm a geek on his own

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 10:17:27 AM »

When you last synced the the SNRM will have been 6. Background noise varies all the time and since that last sync the background noise may have reduced and hence you are seeing a higher margin now. It is possible that if you resync when you see the noise margin is high you could possible see a small increase in speed, but my own view is that unless you see the noise margin heading towards 6.5 I wouldn't try it. The risk of upsetting DLM does not warrant the small increase you might see.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530