Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: TalkTalk's DLM for G.992.1/G.992.3/G.992.5 Circuits  (Read 5777 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: TalkTalk's DLM for G.992.1/G.992.3/G.992.5 Circuits
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2017, 08:09:24 PM »

glad the topic has been edited, as otherwise many will think its about BT DLM before reading posts. :)

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2017, 01:04:26 AM »

I thought it is possible to switch off the BTWholesale ADSL2+ DLM. The old way was with custom thresholds, and I think there's a newer way now to just turn it off.
yes isp's do have some degree of control over BTW ADSL services, via BT systems, ie control panel, though it probably isn't as flexible as LLU operators have on their own network it think they can override DLM and set noise margins, were as on llu  the owners can choose not to even run dlm and allow variable target noise margins, and other things like SRA

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2017, 02:28:09 AM »

I thought it is possible to switch off the BTWholesale ADSL2+ DLM. The old way was with custom thresholds, and I think there's a newer way now to just turn it off.
yes, "a DSLAM override is in place". The thing doesn't work though. I had to lie, beg and bribe to order a DSLAM override and within a fortnight it was pushing my SNRM back up off 6dB, and the override was no longer showing. That happened 3 times in a row.

The 1st time I asked Talktalk to set a 6dB SNRM and turn off DLM they did it. Till the day I moved off from their ADSL it remained that way.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Sheepie

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2017, 05:01:44 PM »

TalkTalk's new DLM is on their ADSL only.

I have an ADSL line with them and it's been pretty stable for years, they were able to set a 6db margin, fastpath, and disable the DLM on it..... until the new DLM was put in place.

Now I have gone from 15ms ping to 38ms, reduced sync, etc. etc. honestly the DLM has really screwed me over.

The only reason I kept with talktalk was due to the fact that I could get DLM disabled - now they are unable to do that I will be moving this line as soon as my contract is up. 

The other odd thing is that since they put this new DLM in place I am unable to upgrade to fttc with talktalk, even though it's available with every other ISP (and my main line is infact FTTC already). 
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 05:26:08 PM by Sheepie »

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2017, 05:43:30 PM »

If the line was stable, why did you need to have the DLM disabled?

Presumably the new DLM does not think your line is stable. Or the new DLM is broken / useless / the worst thing ever etc.

Sheepie

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2017, 05:47:55 PM »

I got it disabled because I wanted to monitor it myself and set ADSL mode, SNR margin etc myself.

I had 34 ES in a day on fastpath and the DLM kicked in and made me interleave both DS and US.  (Sheepie on MDWS)

OK so the days before that the ES were quite high but I was messing about with it - I know ADSL2+ mode and 6db margin caused borderline errors which DLM would have noticed, but I didn't know DLM was enabled then, and it may not have been.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 06:14:11 PM by Sheepie »
Pages: 1 [2]

anything