Author Topic: FTTP  (Read 2099 times)

MaximusPrime

• Reg Member
  • Software Engineer, Telecoms Novice
FTTP
« on: January 31, 2017, 12:19:05 AM »

Hi Guys,

my Openreach contact told me a while back FTTP was planned to my area

Would there be install charges & what would pricing be like?
FTTP, Billion 8800NL, MDWS Id: MaxPrime

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: FTTP
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 01:09:30 AM »

If OpenReach are installing FTTP without it being asked for then that's what's known as "native FTTP". There are no huge installation costs. Just standard activation fees like with any other product. It comes reasonably priced per month, with standard contact lengths.

Then there's FTTPod (FTTP on demand) or FoD (Fibre on demand). Both those can show as available on the BTw DSL checker, but they need to be ordered for the fibre to be installed. It can (and does) cost thousands for installation of the latter 2. The monthly cost is much higher than with native FTTP. There's also a 36 month minimum term.

Basically native FTTP is great, installed for free, sold as BT Infinity 3 & 4 (other ISP terms will vary). The on demand options cost thousands to install and over the contract period thousands more.

FTTP coming to an area doesn't really mean anything unfortunately. They could do the street next to you and totally miss your street. That would mean the on demand fibre options are your only choice.

Native FTTP is usually installed in areas where there is no FTTC available. Having access to FTTC means FTTP is less likely, though not impossible. Plans also change on a regular basis. If it was some time ago you were told FTTP was coming to your area and you've heard nothing since then don't hold your breath.

Very little of the country has OpenReach's native FTTP. Most of it is being deployed with BDUK funding. If your FTTC cabinet was BDUK funded then there's no real hope of getting FTTP.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 11:32:21 AM »

Very little of the country has OpenReach's native FTTP. Most of it is being deployed with BDUK funding. If your FTTC cabinet was BDUK funded then there's no real hope of getting FTTP.

Not so much. The guy is a long way from an FTTC cabinet, to the point where he is not getting 10Mb, let alone >24Mb or >30Mb which constitutes superfast. BDUK contracts can and have deployed FTTP on both commercial and BDUK cabinets to uplift such lines. The OP's cabinet status and what funded FTTC is irrelevant to this, he is NGA black so eligible for state aid regardless.

MaximusPrime

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 01:45:17 PM »

@j0hn, @Ignitionnet,

When she said it was coming to my area I'm pretty sure she meant to my house, 1 of the Engineers who arrived said he seen the plans & confirmed FTTP was coming here, but I didn't think to ask if the installation was free

She said it would be coming in July, so I'll wait & see

If there's installation fees I'll have to stick with VDSL

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 05:57:10 PM »

If they are installing FTTP without you asking for it, then it's native FTTP so no installation costs.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

MaximusPrime

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 06:12:16 PM »

Cheers j0hn,

I have noticed an increase in BT vans working on different places on my line recently, they could be gearing up to install the FTTP

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 02:32:02 PM »

Installation costs are down to the individual ISP to levy, not Openreach so they can't advise on those. Sounds positive though, so watch that space I guess.