Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: I have been a good boy recently - AA usage too low  (Read 2116 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
I have been a good boy recently - AA usage too low
« on: January 27, 2017, 11:01:24 PM »

Andrews and Arnold tell me I am not using the internet enough this month.

THIS IS NOT A BILL. This is just a statement of current usage levels.

Summary:-
We expect your usage to be much lower than your current tariff.

You buy 10 units per month. You have 10.00 units extra under usage brought forward
from last month making 20.00 units available this month. You have used 1.91 units so
far this month. At this rate you will use 4.28 units this month. We forecast ending
the month with 15.72 units under usage (capped to 10 units). This level of under
usage is enough that some will be lost.

Details:- (best viewed in a fixed width font)
Billing period 01 Jan 2017 to 31 Jan 2017              Units
Metering started 01 Jan 2017 08:26
Usage recorded up to 15 Jan 2017 04:00
--
From previous month
Under usage from previous month                        13.39
Excess under usage lost                                 3.39
Total under usage brought forward                      10.00
--
This month                               Bytes   Rate  Units
21CN daytime (09-18 M-F)         3,825,339,861  2.5GB   1.53
21CN evening (18-24 M-F)         4,944,059,521   50GB   0.10
21CN Holiday                     2,275,663,267   50GB   0.05
21CN night (00-09 M-F)           2,043,927,645   50GB   0.04
21CN weekend                     4,833,600,158   50GB   0.10
21CN night special              90,872,122,754    1TB   0.09
Units so far this month                                 1.91
--
Allowance calculation
Monthly tariff                                         10.00
Extra allowance from previous month                    10.00
Total allowance in this month                          20.00
--
So far this month
Total allowance                                        20.00
Total usage                                             1.91
Under usage to carry forward, so far                   18.09
--

You can view this information on our control pages at any time.

To change tariff please see the instructions on:
http://aa.net.uk/broadband-regrade.html

Please do contact sales if you have any queries or would like advice.

Thank you.

AAISP, 033 33 400 222.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: I have been a good boy recently - AA usage too low
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 11:46:50 PM »

Could you, perhaps, download the entire DNS data set?

<b*cat goes to hide in a brown paper bag.>  :paperbag:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 12:00:13 AM »

:-)

I'm not at all, sure. I have many TB waiting for me, but bandwidth is a problem, plus the fact that I don't know how to do the crawling yet. Need to get some reading matter.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 12:02:50 AM »

I also need to get some cardboard boxes, bags out. Many of them are in the garages still. The siamese and old Orange Burmese/Tabby-cross tomcat are going bonkers again, chasing round the house after one another, chirruping and yowling that playtime attendance is required.

adrianw

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 05:56:43 AM »

You don't have to use all your monthly and carried forward allowance (8-)

Good of A&A to tell you in advance that you will undershoot. From what I remember of capped services, you generally only got the numbers after the period had ended, only hearing anything before then if you were over using the trough.

Playing with your cats probably has a better feelgood return than playing with the Internet.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 06:26:25 AM »

I only rack up serious bills by watching / downloading movies or using YouTube in the daytime.

I can't join in with the cats’ play, as they only play with one another when no one is watching them (Schrödinger’s cats). I could if well enough torment them with cat-fishing poles, feathers, long pieces of string, knitting needles or straws, cardboard boxes and paper bags, tubes etc. Mrs. Weaver has a robot insect on order which we hope will drive them wild.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2017, 06:31:45 AM »

I do hope they don't axe the units-based tariff. This is not (well) advertised any more and I don't know if sales could be persuaded to give it to new users.

The overnight TB deal is just great, and I hope they do keep on with it. It's been available for as long as I have been around and is available to users on BTW lines.

adrianw

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2017, 08:01:52 AM »

My apologies. I had forgotten your condition.

I hope the cats don't find the robot insect nice and crunchy.

I am interested in A&A's Home:1 1 TB service. I found http://aaisp.net/broadband-units.html giving unit pricing, looks very good for low utilisation but maxing out the numbers (200GB/500GB) gives an eye watering 90 unit ~ £380 a month. No mention of a cheap(?) TB overnight deal.

Their honouring your contract reminds me of a friend who had cut a very good mobile phone calls deal in the supplier's early days. They were alternately begging him to change and (insufficiently) tempting him with offers, but were prepared to keep the deal going, knowing that he would raise Cain and writs if they reneged.

Off to bed soon. The dawn looks lovely this morning.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2017, 09:18:59 AM »

Not to worry. The 1TB deal is not to be confused with the traditional units-based tariff that I am on. That page you linked to is not for the Home::x or Office::x tariffs, it's for the traditional units based (otherwise nameless) tariff which I am on.

In fact, was there a thread about the subject of these newer deals right here on kitz?

Btw, I don't think the kitz' ISPs' deals database on this site can cope with the weirdness of format of the now numerous AA deals.

Note: I think there is a condition - Home:: 1TB requires you to be on a TalkTalk-equipped exchange, that's how AA get a good deal on backhaul by bulk purchasing from TT Wholesale, which is a good thing anyway in many respects.

Ask sales, or better ask on the AA IRC chat room which knowledgeable users as well as AA staff frequent. There is a web-based IRC UI on the AA website, which is a timesaver if you don't already have an IRC client app set up. I have to say sales were pretty useless in trying to explain it to me recently, got at cross purposes all the time because I suspect they forgot I was an existing customer, forgot I had multiple lines that must remain fully bonded, and didn't realise that I had forgotten or didn't know about the TalkTalk lines requirements. Or maybe it's just that I am truly thick. But users are extremely helpful.

As for me, I don't get any built-in units at all. I just buy what I need and have to pay a lot for daytime usage in office hours.

Overnight for me is 1 unit = 1TB download within one month and a unit costs something like £4, I forget exactly. Daytime 21CN BTW is 2.5 GB per unit iirc - see earlier post in this thread.

The 1TB deal in contrast is regardless of time of day.

I pay a slightly higher rate for downloaded bytes if I go over my pre-purchased usage. They don't kill me or anything like that, so I have totally unlimited use, there is no CAP.

There are various options for what you want to happen if you go over a certain download limit on some of the deals, it depends on which deal you are on I think. I forget what the options are for me as I haven't set a quota.

There are no FUPs on any AA deals.

--

Regarding the last thing you said, about “honouring your contract”. I don't think there are any signs of them pulling the plug on the traditional units based tariffs just yet. It's just that they are promoting newer deals that are believed to be less hassle and easier to understand for many customers. possibly cheaper for very heavy users and much cheaper for users who rack up all their charges in office hours. I think they believe that they are giving people what they need and exploiting the possibility of reducing costs for users by bulk-buying.

adrianw

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2017, 10:15:13 AM »

Thanks for the information and suggestions. According to Samknows my home exchange has TalkTalk* and Sky** LLU. Sadly my 2 year Business Broadband contract with Plusnet won't be up till the autumn. I'll be following a well worn path by then. Though Plusnet's service is generally OK, support seems to be getting worse and worse.

A&A seem very determined to honour and preserve their contracts, even where doing so is costing them money (e.g. ADSL on 20CN exchanges).

* While one often reads ill of TalkTalk, my employer supplied ADSL line was TalkTalk Opal. One night I noticed my normally rock solid connection was flakey, and got an ear splitting buzz when I plugged a phone in. Contacted works help desk, who contacted TalkTalk, who contacted OR, who opened a footpath chamber soon after dawn and at least removed a lot of silt from it. TalkTalk line back to normal, and my Plusnet line improved a bit too. Works help desk had been kept fully informed by TalkTalk throughout, updating me in the morning.

** Not that I would touch Sky with a bargepole after my experience with Sky ADSL, where after a 3 month runaround with deteriorating performance (have you checked your connections, changed your filter, done this and that, repeat from scratch on each call) another sufferer with better contacts discovered that Sky knew well that they had a local backhaul problem which would take months to fix, and help desk staff were forbidden to tell the truth. Like Dell (who took my money for an early £1,500 laptop, then gave me months of fobbing off and excuses and only, when I threatened to pass a full record of the correspondence to a computer journalist I then knew, did they admit that they could not build what they had sold me and gave me a refund), they are on my ever increasing "never buy anything from these" list.

anything