Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Sky just announced some MAJOR changes to your TV - here's how it will affect you  (Read 2069 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

Sky just announced some MAJOR changes to your TV - here's how it will affect you

Sky has announced a slew of changes coming to new and existing customers.

The satellite television company made the announcement during its quarterly earnings call this morning.

For the first time, Sky is allowing users to watch without a dish.

Sky Q will soon work without the need for a satellite dish mounted on your outside wall – a move that, Sky says, will see millions of new homes able to enjoy the Sky TV service.

The updated service will deliver Sky satellite television over a broadband connection.

The service is expected to launch in the UK in 2018, Sky confirmed.

Elsewhere, Sky made an announcement that is likely to appeal to long-term Sky subscribers.

The UK broadcaster is introducing a new loyalty scheme that will reward and recognise members based on how long they’ve been with Sky.

The programme will award exclusive experiences and benefits to customers, the firm says.

So now Sky seem ok with the Openreach network. I wonder if they might invest some money in to it.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen

Too ffn late for me and the missus. Sick of no loyalty reward and have cancelled our contract with them. Decided to jump on the 'Chipped Android Box' bandwagon and for £50 a YEAR ..... we have access to all sports, every movie ever made (Latest Box Office ones as well), and all the SKY channels that are decent .... Atlantic, SKY One etc .......

How I wish I'd done it sooner when my friends and family told me months ago !! :-(.

stevebrass

• Reg Member

Too ffn late for me and the missus. Sick of no loyalty reward and have cancelled our contract with them. Decided to jump on the 'Chipped Android Box' bandwagon and for £50 a YEAR ..... we have access to all sports, every movie ever made (Latest Box Office ones as well), and all the SKY channels that are decent .... Atlantic, SKY One etc .......

How I wish I'd done it sooner when my friends and family told me months ago !! :-(.

What is a chipped android box? is this Kodi?
Netgear Orbi; BT FTTP with Smart Hub 2

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

There is quite a lot of alternatives to the Sky dish these days. Sky are a bit slow off the mark. I just bought the Amazon Prime, mainly for deliveries from Amazon but it gives me access to lots of films, tv series etc. I think Now TV have a lot of the sky channels too.

I didnt get on the kodi thing. I wonder if they can still be bought?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen

I'm no experts at all in these matters. All I was told to do was purchase an Android box of Amazon, for example. Then, connect it to your broadband and TV. Then I had to e-mail an address who gives the option of 1, 3, 6 or 12 months purchase (From £10 incrementing to £50), and when you pay they send you a code for the IPTV site.

A friend of mine has also added a couple of other movie streams to the Android, as well.

The only faff is the navigational side of it. Like anything new you have to play around with it to learn the shortcuts, best streams for football etc etc .................... but the picture is as sharp as it can be. It's pretty much all HD from my limited knowledge of it. Kodi is just part of the official 'Apps' you get presented with on the Android.

Never watched as many movies in my life before. All the latest ones that are either still to come onto the cinema, or are now playing at the cinema are available. Love it.

It seems 'Playing by the rules' as I have done all my life, basically costs a helluva lot of money for little reward. PS .... I'll write you from prison, he he  ;D ;D

adrianw

• Reg Member

A UK vendor of such "fully loaded" boxes is coming up for trial later this year - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-38769045
Depending on the result, they may go after other vendors, and maybe customers too.

There are also similar boxes for satellite TV, which out of the box display all the free to air channels, but with a "gift subscription" and reconfiguration will show all but the HD Sky channels, using a decoding service somewhere out on the Internet.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP

not chipped just the kodi app and addon :)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

It seems Sky wanted to pay the Discovery group LESS than they paid 10 years ago!

http://www.seenit.co.uk/discovery-threatens-to-pull-channels-from-sky-in-carriage-dispute/

In a statement issued on Wednesday night, Discovery says talks to agree a new deal with the UK’s largest pay-TV brand “have reached an impasse” and accuses Sky of using “its dominant market position” to avoid paying a fair price for its channels and content.

According to Discovery, the firm is now paid less than it was 10 years ago, despite the fact that Sky households are paying much more than they did in 2007.

Discovery says this situation ignores the growth in its channels’ popularity – over the past decade they have increased their share of viewing on the Sky platform by more than 20% – and makes it harder to justify and recoup its increased investment in original content and new channels.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/discovery-channels-sky-tv-how-to-access-animal-planet-eurosport-tlc-disappear-satellite-package-a7554721.html

Discovery channels' final day on Sky TV: How to watch Animal Planet and Eurosport after they disappear

Customers are calling for discounts and threatening to move to Sky's rivals

Channels disappearing on Feburary 1st are;

Animal Planet
    Discovery HD
    Discovery History
    Discovery Home & Health
    Discovery Science
    Discovery Shed
    Discovery Turbo
    DMAX
    Eurosport1
    Eurosport2
    Investigation Discovery
    Quest
    TLC
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 01:18:22 PM by Bowdon »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP

disgusting from sky.

Bit hard of them to play broke when they pumping billions into the EPL.

I think they will come to terms.

I noticed in the billing area sky have a notice that says the channels "might" be lost, not definitely lost.

anything