Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: DSLstats stats translation  (Read 1891 times)

stinkyfish

• Just arrived
DSLstats stats translation
« on: January 26, 2017, 01:13:36 PM »

Hi all, new to the forum and also new to whole arena of monitoring my ADSL link. I am doing alot of reading around the various data that is available to us all from our line however I have very little experience.

I was wondering if anoyone would be kind enought to take a quick look at my data on DSLstats (captured on MDWS under user stinkyfish) and let me know of any obvious issues I should be watching out for.

I have a new router VMG8924-B10 with version 15 firmware (that still seems a little buggy to me) and have a really strange issue in the morning that affects my connectivity from my phone and my laptop, i seem to have to reboot my router on a daily basis. Strangely last night i moved my server to carry out some maintenence away from the router where its located and my connection this morning seemed ok? could this just be coincidence?

Other observations are, Bitswapp/min on my connection is jumping all over, error seconds seem high but this seems normal compared to others and interleaving seems to have jumped form 32 to 64 from what i understand this is not great?

Many thanks in advance
Stinky

stinkyfish

• Just arrived
Re: DSLstats stats translation
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 10:59:19 AM »

Had more issues over the weekend with my connection and i think the problem might actually reside with the router, my logs show times where no logging is taking place. Some of there non logging periods are due to me running DSLstats on my lappy and currently migrating it to run on my NAS. However there was a major disconnect last night where no legs were taken and when I checked DSLstats this morning it was reporting issues with connecting to the router via telnet. I managed to reset the telnet session and the router come back to life but from my small amount of experience this seems to suggest a software issue in the router firmware (or possibly a hardware fault).

I am going to continue to monitor this week and if this issue happens again I might have to bite the bullet and get a new router  :-X

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 03:50:55 PM »

I think it's more an idiosyncrasy with the way DSLstats logs data from the VMG8924.  I am logging mine off a Mac and it barely connects.  If I'm lucky I get a few minutes logging before the telnet fails.

It's probably just the VMG8924 being marginal in terms of response time.  The latest beta has a longer timeout period so might be worth trying.

stinkyfish

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 08:28:39 AM »

Thanks for the response jaydub

My connection was playing up again this morning so i think i will be getting my old netgear back out this weekend.

Might even treat nyself to something new.

anything