Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Does anyone have a spare BT80A-RF2 ?  (Read 8986 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Does anyone have a spare BT80A-RF2 ?
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2017, 09:29:24 PM »

I'm guessing former BT Engineer?....

No, not ex-Openreach, not ex-BT, not ex-PO Telephones nor ex-GPO.

Just someone who took an interest in such things, back in the days when GPO employees were members of the Civil Service (i.e. before October 1969).  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2017, 11:20:21 PM »

Your recordings do sound like a HR joint (as I have one under investigation by BT at the moment) but because you are near that transmitter it is acting like a old type of 'Cats Whisker' crystal radio set and picking up that strong signal.
I have a iphone and that has a 'Voice memo' app that I have recorded some of the crackles of the bad joint on a QLT.
If you do a QLT 17070 / 2 and after she says goodbye, wait for the tone, wait until it finishes, then after the tone you can get a period of the line without her saying QL test every 30 sec. 
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

H4rry

« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2017, 09:58:24 AM »

@burakkucat
You come from a great place, when people cared more and had to actually know and learn something to get ahead in life. Nowadays companies seem more concerned with cutbacks to achieve numbers on a report that engineers do bare minimum to achieve rather than putting in the time to fix a customer's problem. But why would they when they are not incentivised... anyhow I digress :)

@tickmike
Yep I think we're in the same boat. Although mine is accompanied by radio to soothe my suffering. I tried your suggestion but my phones seem to react to the said tone and immediately disconnect the line. That's fine though, the interference is abundantly frequent and clear between the announcement and a QLT call lasts about 5mins 30secs for me.

Would be great to hear how you're getting on with your progress. I'll keep posting updates my end.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 10:05:48 AM by H4rry »

H4rry

« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2017, 09:37:56 AM »

Phew what an ordeal!

After being stood up last Monday and then being promised a UG certified engineer on Tuesday only to receive another internal engineer and subsequent persevering and suffering FINALLY an engineer arrived that found the problem to be a badly corroded pair behind the block terminal on the side of the house.

The block terminal contacts were cut back and re-terminated by a previous engineer but those wires where also corroded on their way to the contact behind the terminal block casing. Yesterday's engineer completely removed the terminal block and replaced with a simple enclosure in which he terminated the contacts with jelly crimps. This not only makes a better contact than a screw terminal it also waterproofs the contacts so the corrosion that lead to the noise shouldn't return.

The line is now crystal clear and Quiet Line Tests have never sounded better.

So, I think I can now safely conclude (famous last words) that the HR fault was due to the corroded contacts behind the terminal block causing a HR/semi-conductive fault on the line that was acting like a 'cats whisker' radio introducing noise on the line.

Thanks to all who commented, especially burakkukat.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 09:42:08 AM by H4rry »

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2017, 10:17:34 AM »

Great news  ;D
Intermittent faults are rarely quick to get sorted as the law of sod says that they don't show themselves when you want them to.
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2017, 11:52:32 AM »

That's a great result,  I have a feeling that my line problem will be sorted soon  ;D
After sending an email to the CEO of BTOR last night I think the Brown stuff has hit the fan this morning from the emails I am getting from high up within BT and BTOR about it.
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,19162.30.html
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

H4rry

« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2017, 01:26:23 PM »

@tubaman
I was banging my head on a wall each time an engineer was turning up only for the noise to disappear when plugging the butt tester in. I think there must be a scientific element to Sod's law :)

@tickmike
I've had exactly the same experience, it wasn't until I lodged a complaint and escalated the case that things started to happen. It seems that the 'normal' process of reporting a fault is not where intermittent faults like ours are taken seriously. Good luck with your case, sounds like the right things are happening towards a fix. If you happen to have an old wall block terminal with screw terminals it might be something to look closer at.

I'm still doing QLT in the background... Sod's law has often taught me that things can also be 'too good to be true'. 20 or so QLTs later though and still smiling...
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 01:28:45 PM by H4rry »

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2017, 01:31:21 PM »

Nice to hear some good news.   :)

To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2017, 04:05:08 PM »

And I'll second 4c's post!  :)

It's nice to read of an "at last" resolution.  :thumbs:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: 1 2 [3]