Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Caoimhe sneezy cat  (Read 2020 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Caoimhe sneezy cat
« on: January 18, 2017, 12:57:59 PM »

One year on from her spectacular illness and she is still wheezing and sneezing, my little Siamese cat. We have some medicine from the vet but we can't trick her into taking it - presume it tastes horrible. Does anyone have any tips for disguising it in something very strong tasting and attractive? She is a very suspicious cat about food, never mind medicine.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 02:19:21 AM by Weaver »

matt9

Re: Caoimhe sneezy cat
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 04:46:33 PM »

Hey Weaver.
I'm a dab hand at disguising bad-tasting medicine from cats by now!
Have you tried mashing it up in fishy things like tuna, sardines and anchovies? Or perhaps crushing it into goats milk. Or maybe pork fat (as long as he/she can normally stomach fatty foods) or game meat?
 ;D

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 05:34:25 PM »

She is a very, very fishy cat. So we could try sardines or something like that, I think.

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 06:34:43 PM »

Our cat loves cream, so we can fool her into taking her meds  ;D a spot about the size of a 50p coin normally will do the trick.
I do sympathize on the cat food, ours will just not touch it even when very hungry. >:( 
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 02:17:42 AM »

Mrs Weaver tells me she has already tried sardines, the cat immediately smells a rat. Or smells something fishy, in this case not fishy. Anyway, deception doesn't work and she gets really upset and won't let you get near her with food for days. This medicine seems to be extremely nasty.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 10:54:58 AM »

Is it a Liquid medicine ?.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 11:19:30 AM »

Our cat was very suspicious as well. If it was tablet the best way we found was to hold her mouth open by gently pushing her cheeks in so she would not close and pop the tablet on the back of her tongue and then close her mouth holding her head up and gently stroke her throat until she swallowed. With liquid we used a similar holding process and a syringe to put the medicine in. Quite stressful I know but necessary for their recovery.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 03:21:43 PM »

That is what I would do but would rap the cat in say an old towel with just it's head poking out and either get someone to hold or when our cats where alive I would sit on the floor and put the cat between my legs with his head facing my feet and do what Stuart says above.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2017, 03:33:24 PM »

:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

matt9

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2017, 04:21:10 PM »

Clever cat! I think @broadstairs and @tickmike are right - wrap the cat in towel and gently make it swallow them.
Let us know how it goes!  :fingers:

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2017, 08:01:43 PM »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2017, 10:35:32 PM »

We decided long ago that we would not molest her, she is too upset and hates Janet if she forces her. It's all about having a happy cat, so if she has to remain sneezy but happy then so be it, that was the decision made. But if we could manage to successfully con her somehow, then that would be great as it would increase her comfort. She is not unhappy now, she plays, begs for treats, sits on me, beats up the other cats as required (because she thinks she is top cat), and so on.

anything