Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Socket Setup.  (Read 6956 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Socket Setup.
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2017, 08:33:31 PM »

It further occurs to me, in the case of a filter vs an old fashioned master socket, the capacitor only needs to pickup the very low frequency ring pulses, so it will probably be connected to the telephony-side of the actual high frequency filtering mechanism.  This ought to reduce any loading of the higher frequencies, i.e. DSL signals as presented unfiltered to the modem.

Whilst interested I have an uncomfortable deja-vu feeling about this whole topic.  Was it discussed recently?  Did I contribute? Am I repeating myself or worse..., am I contradicting myself?   :-[

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2017, 10:06:29 AM »

Yes, the bell capacitor is on the low frequency (voice) side of the filter so it shouldn't affect the high frequency data tones.
Certainly on a setup like mine, where the extensions are star wired, a centralised filter makes a big difference as it isolates the data side from what are effectively a number of bridge taps.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

divybc

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2017, 01:32:48 AM »

Watching some late nite streams and internet goes all of a sudden. Called 17070 option 4 and it seems there is echo on my line and there may be a problem.

Looks like I spoke too soon 😐

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2017, 08:35:05 AM »

Has you internet connection gone altogether is was it a short drop for a resync?
As it was late at night it might just be DLM still adjusting things for your rewired line.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

divybc

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2017, 12:18:34 PM »

It wasnt DLM because it didnt resync. I just couldnt load any pages although the router said I was in sync. Its still doing the same today.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2017, 06:17:07 PM »

If I remember correctly, you have a combined modem/router.

My advice is for you to power off the modem/router and leave it off for 30 minutes. During the 30 minute power off period, perform a quiet line test (call 17070 and take the relevant option). Once the 30 minutes have passed, power on the modem/router and keep watch (make written notes) of the LEDs activity following the power on.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

divybc

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2017, 11:16:57 PM »

Gave it a go and no luck. Thanks for the suggestion.

I tracked the wire he installed and it turns out there was a staple cut right thru the middle of the sheathing! I have no idea why it worked in the first place, but test socket works fine.

1) Dismantled wiring and placed back into original master socket 5C and all back to BT standards from the external feed.

2) Phoned Sky to see if we can get this socket relocated by BT because it's just not any good there. The socket is literally isolated from any source of power and leave me without broadband unless I run some stupidly massive power extension about 15 meters across the floor.

They have logged a "fault" with OR who are attending tomorrow. She said she spoke with OR on the phone who said it's fine to raise it and they said the engineer should be able to relocate it for me tomorrow if he is a nice guy (tea and biscuits are ready) hopefully he see's my point that I just can't gain access to broadband without doing this unless I run an extension which I would have to fork out for.

If he doesn't do it, they will go thru the official process of getting it relocated (2nd time lucky if you've ready my other post in FTTC problems) by OR.

All of this is no callout charges to me no matter what as I am within my Sky contract which is nice to know.

I will let you guys know if I get my problem finally resolved tomorrow.

divybc

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2017, 11:05:49 PM »

All good had an official BT OR master relocate. Couldn't have asked for a nicer guy to do the job.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2017, 11:25:56 PM »

All good had an official BT OR master relocate. Couldn't have asked for a nicer guy to do the job.

Thank you for the update. I'm pleased to know that the problem has been resolved.  :)

Perhaps you might like to go to Openrach "Tell Us" web-page, scroll down to near the bottom and under the "Let us know how we did" heading, take the "send them a thank you message" link.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

divybc

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2017, 01:25:52 AM »

Thank you for the update. I'm pleased to know that the problem has been resolved.  :)

Perhaps you might like to go to Openrach "Tell Us" web-page, scroll down to near the bottom and under the "Let us know how we did" heading, take the "send them a thank you message" link.

I have done so. He really was willing and prompt. He was officially there for a broadband fault and I just showed him the whole situation and he agreed with me and went ahead. Tested all afterward, tidied up and most importantly, didn't leave any noticeable gaps in my walls like previous guys (Qube) lol. He supported the same football team as me, so maybe this is why, but either way, great guy.

Thanks for the link!

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2017, 10:02:07 AM »

Glad you have resolution, and I have to say ............ methinks you landed lucky.
We aren't supposed to re-position sockets for aesthetics purposes whilst working on a fault task, the job should officially have been presented to us from SKY as a 'Shift/Relocate of socket', on a provision order.

Just pointing out the rules here, in case other readers of this forum assume your scenario is the norm.  :) :)
Pages: 1 [2]

anything