Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Is my line banded or capped in some way?  (Read 4788 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: Is my line banded or capped in some way?
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2017, 09:31:38 AM »

Well I opened my complaint with TT and it got no response for 3 weeks, so I complained to the CEO. After another delay and some emails back and forth I have been informed by someone in the CEO's office that they will have to arrange a BTOR visit to remove the banding. I am now waiting to hear what will happen next and whether or not they will expect me to accept any charge (I think you can guess my answer to that one if it comes  :thumbdown: ).

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2017, 04:07:56 PM »

Well after much more discussions I'm sure no one here will be surprised that the bottom line here is nothing will be done. As my line cannot attain a stable green ILQ they are unable or unwilling to do anything.

I have been doing a little testing over the past few days to see if my line could achieve and perhaps sustain a green ILQ but having reduced sync speed to 55000kbps and then 50000kbps I have proved that the line will not achieve a stable green ILQ at those speeds and frankly I suspect it will not matter how low I go the line behaviour seems to make it unlikely to get to a stable green ILQ at all. What this I believe indicates is that whatever was severely wrong with my line last June through September albeit intermittently has never been properly or fully diagnosed or resolved, whatever happened to resolve it has simply reduced in severity to an extent that I can achieve an amber ILQ status which is fairly stable and I am certain that nothing was actually done to the line to fix anything. I suspect that whatever the fault is it is likely to happen again in the future (maybe we need an HGV to hit the cab  :-X or some other local disaster). If said fault does re-appear then I hope it goes solid and they cannot then slope shoulders on it as happened before.

As to the actual error rates I see there is no pattern to them and they occur at random times, last night for example it was most of the evening and night when ES were high. I see sudden spikes of CRCs at random times of the day and night otherwise it bumbles along at maybe one or two every couple of minutes.

I'd be interested to know how the ES count correlates to the other errors, for example does just 1 CRC in a second cause that second to be counted as an error second, and what other errors will cause the ES count to be incremented?

Stuart

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2017, 04:41:46 PM »

Amber ILQ is defined is OK, with green defined as better than expected.

Yes 1 or more CRC errors in a second make it an errored second. The G.997.1 definition of ES includes LOS, SEF and LPR defects, but I don't think anyone will need to worry about the counts of those.

The LOS, SEF or LPR would also make it a SES, as would 18 or more CRC errors in the second.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2017, 05:35:13 PM »

Amber ILQ is defined is OK, with green defined as better than expected.

The issue when banded is that you need to be green to have the banding removed by DLM. It may be classed as OK butwhen they band it to simply bypass a fault I believe that is unacceptable, they should fix the fault not limit the speed.

Stuart

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2017, 05:52:08 PM »

I thought people were finding that the automatically applied banding never gets removed no matter how many weeks of green ILQ. We certainly don't get many people reporting that they've been banded for a while, then it lifted.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2017, 09:47:30 PM »

Talktalk are just filling you with nonsense. Banding should remove before the line returns to fastpath.

DLM requires lines to be ILQ green to remove certain parameters set on the line. That's sensible with some form of error protection on the line. There's really not that many lines that can stay ILQ green while completely open on fastpath.

At the moment it's not affecting your service. I would ignore it as Talktalk aren't going to agree to an engineer without threatening you with the callout charge. When(if) they fix G.INP on ECI cabinets and they introduce the lower dB SNRM then raise the issue with Talktalk again.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2017, 11:26:04 PM »

Well he could migrate to another ISP that will remove any banding on the circuit, as long as term with current provider is halfway then no major fee's for leaving early, but my bet he is getting FTTC must cheaper with LLU than I and others and will remain with TT ISP  ;)
Pages: 1 [2]

anything