Computers & Hardware > Other Technologies & Hardware

Amazon Alexa thing - any good?

(1/4) > >>

Weaver:
Has anyone tried the Amazon Alexa voice-controlled thingummy?

matt9:
Yes! Indeed! We welcomed Alexa into our home over Christmas and haven't looked back since. We have the dot which is cheaper and the only difference is that it's missing the speaker underneath - but we have our own portable speakers.

So far so good! It's a pretty fun addition to the home. We sync it up to our Spotify account which works very well - despite confusing a few obscure music requests. We're beginning to rely on it for things like alarms, timers and the morning weather forecast. We have found that we need to enunciate our words a bit better, but that never harmed anyone!  :)

Chunkers:
We have one as well and we think its good fun, if nothing else it makes an excellent hands-free internet radio - we have the full speaker version and the sound quality is not bad considering its size (and I am very fussy about sound)

My son never gets tired of the jokes, insults and I like the instant football scores and fixture info.

Overall, worth it, I would say

tickmike:
All the personal data and what you do with it goes back to Amazon  :o

Chunkers:

--- Quote from: tickmike on January 24, 2017, 02:31:32 PM ---All the personal data and what you do with it goes back to Amazon  :o

--- End quote ---

I imagine so, but they already know so much about us anyway it is hardly a deal-breaker for us (we already shop with Amazon, use Amazon Prime)

I could see why more security conscious people might be concerned.  I guess Alexa *could* be listening into our conversations, in which case she will probably commit virtual suicide shortly.

Chunks

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version