Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Cisco 1830 WAP  (Read 14282 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Cisco 1830 WAP
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2017, 07:33:50 PM »

@d2d4j - I did indeed as far as I can tell get brand new unopened kit in what looked like the correct genuine packaging. I myself had to open them to check the part code on the items matched that on the outside of the box.

Do you have any idea about an email contact as I just got told don't know don't care by the Cisco minion I talked to on the web chat?

huwwatkins

« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2017, 07:47:51 AM »

You could try this:

tac@cisco.com

Pulled it from here:
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/web/tsd-cisco-worldwide-contacts.html

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2017, 10:36:09 AM »

Hallelujah- I very much hesitate to speak to soon, but Mrs Weaver has a contact with a Cisco engineer, who indicated willingness to pitch in and help. Here's hoping.

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2017, 10:50:02 AM »

Hi weaver

Good news

You may not be able to receive the latest update if no contract but should be able to receive the 2 different files for controller and slave

Many thanks

John

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2017, 11:14:50 AM »

Can't afford a hardware controller, and couldn't justify it just for two or three WAPs.

Daft question: Does a h/w controller become a bottleneck, in that all data passes through it? Surely not.

Single point of failure two (unless more than one unit obviously)? Which might favour Mobility Express if that can adapt to one node going down (like Token Ring electing a new Master iirc). Don't know anything about Mobility Express or the Cisco WAP controllers.

I will still be wanting to find out about buying a contract, so as to get bug fixes and significant functionality upgrades, if any.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 11:19:34 AM by Weaver »

currytop

• Reg Member
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2017, 11:39:19 AM »

Really sorry to hear of your problems Weaver but I'm afraid I can't offer useful help for your Cisco issues.

I was curious about the Apple issues you referenced with Ubiquiti. I've since read Rev K rant and it doesn't delve too deeply into the details of his problems. What I would say is that UBNT Unifi products are evolving very rapidly with bugfixes appearing weekly, usually for some obscure fault. I use their products including Unifi, at home, with a couple of iPads, many PCs, laptops, Linux servers, data acquisition devices, TVs, but no Macs. The iPads do tend to want to hold on to an AP once connected, but you can tweak the RSSI threshold, so an AP will drop a client if the received signal strength falls below a threshold. For that to be useful the AP distribution needs to minimise large overlap areas with neighbour APs at that threshold. Installing the controller into a virtual machine which is only needed during configuration is pretty trivial. Updates are readily available without jumping through hoops. In my view a better choice for a technical residential user but a non Cisco partner or regular Cisco installer.

I hope that wasn't too unhelpful, maybe of some use in the future.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2017, 12:15:26 PM »

> In my view a better choice for a technical residential user but a non Cisco partner or regular Cisco installer.

It rather depends on what you want? And on whether or not you are a residential user. Cisco are a complete nightmare in terms of unhelpful unapproachable labyrinthine god knows xxx

I took a lot of interest in Ubiquiti was high up on my list until thank goodness I found out that the combination of their kit plus Apple's iOS is known to be completely and utterly broken when used with Apple gear unless you have only one AP. So this is an almost all iOS shop, then they are completely out. As much use as a chocolate teapot. Or knitted condom.

I'm installing kit for my wife's business as well as residential use and it's quite a difficult environment physically. So it's a mixture of residential, Janet's office and a small hotel too.

There is also the fact that the existing ZyXel WAPs have a very full list of capabilities and so that sets a certain baseline otherwise it isn't worth me upgrading and I don't have to upgrade either. In this case I got the Cisco units for half the price of the existing old ZyXel WAPs.

Regarding ease of use of the product - from what I've read, I would have had no hassle had I not been stuffed by the dishonest and also possibly plain incompetent seller then shipping me the wrong part. The Cisco units promise to be no more difficult to set up than my ZyXels, once I can get the correct firmware in them.

I might be in luck, as I have received an offer of help from someone that Mrs Weaver knows. Here's hoping anyway.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 12:21:06 PM by Weaver »

currytop

• Reg Member
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2017, 12:32:40 PM »

I feel the "utterly and completely broken" for Apple hardware is somewhat misplaced and maybe based on old or false information. The last reference I note Adrian makes is to rev 3.7.5.4969. Currently I'm running v3.7.49, but so far have not had any of the issues others have reported through quite a few upgrades. I really wasn't trying to sway you, your path is set, more trying to redress the balance.

For a commercial installation I think it's probably best to use a professional installer and go with their choice of kit and experience and backup. For a DIY installation I would choose Ubiquiti on grounds of cost and ease of access to documentation, firmware and support. No contracts in sight. They seem more approachable with good community support from experienced installers and UBNT employees.

I really hope your new lead works out and everything goes well.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 01:10:35 PM by currytop »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2017, 01:01:46 PM »

(I realised I had made a mistake with that post and so edited it before I saw your reply.)

> I feel the "utterly and completely broken" for Apple hardware is somewhat misplaced and maybe based on old or false information.

I am not at all convinced that it is Ubiquiti at fault, could very well be Apple. But the fact that no-one has sorted this quickly can not be forgiven.

currytop

• Reg Member
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2017, 01:18:05 PM »

I suspect it's a more awkward joint interoperability issue. However it hasn't proved a problem with our two iOS devices across 3 APs. We might just have a more favourable AP distribution.

I do have a slight issue with a Dell laptop that manages 450Mbps upload, but only 20Mbps down, but I suspect that's more to do with a dodgy Atheros chip driver on the laptop.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2017, 01:50:45 AM »

I am so very embarrassed. User aesmith has once again saved my bacon having reminded me to check the part code again. And guess what? My only poor excuse is that it is difficult fighting through the fog and drunkenness and freezing wind.

Mrs Weaver took a photo of the box that the Cisco APs came in. The identification on the box has two part codes. The first one says  -"K9C" and explicitly says "with Mobility Express". The second says "base p/n" and "K9" (no C), well it would. I certainly looked at the identification plate on the actual units themselves as I wanted to check that what was in the box was what was supposed to be, but I don't remember looking at the box.

So I suspect that all of my bleating whimpering etc has all been over nothing. In the morning I shall ask Mrs Weaver if she would be kind enough to fire them up for me and we shall see if the expected setup-mode SSID is visible.

I have been more out of it than usual. More activity following the lightning strike may have taken its toll, I don't know. Everything has to be paid for.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2018, 07:02:53 PM »

When I talked to the software inside the units, I couldn't make much sense of it. Its appearance didn't seem to be anything like the description of the product ‘Mobility Express’ as described in the Cisco manual. So I decided that they had possibly been reprogrammed with the wrong stuff despite the label on the kit saying -C which we believe means ‘contains Mobility Express software’, or else put into some weird mode that is not documented. Anyway I was out of my depth at that point.

After an absolute age, Mrs Weaver finally got them sent off to her Cisco friend who has now sent the units back to me, having hopefully put the correct software in them for me. I haven't managed to fire them up yet though because I now don’t have any power because the Mrs has now lost / buried the POE injectors somewhere and so I am having to buy two more. :-( When the replacements turn up from Amazon she will probably find the existing ones.

So still no idea what’s what yet.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 07:12:00 PM by Weaver »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2018, 01:33:04 AM »

I just completely failed with this. It's as if I have the wrong software loaded in them or I have somehow caused them to revert back to some really weird behavioural mode.

I just wish I knew someone who could reset them for me, with the right special i/f cables and so fort.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2018, 06:29:43 PM »

You really need a person with Cisco knowledge take a break at Skye Shepherd Huts.

Unfortunately I would be unable to travel up . . . "popping round the corner" is now difficult for me and I am without any significant Cisco knowledge.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: 1 2 [3]