Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Cisco 1830 WAP  (Read 14285 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Cisco 1830 WAP
« on: January 16, 2017, 11:37:54 AM »

Since one of my greatly beloved ZyXel WAPs has decided to go _all weird_ on me following visible damage to one of the antenna, I've finally decided to buy a Cisco Aironet 1850 to replace it. Does anyone know anything about these devices? (Apologies if I've asked this question before.)

Another thing, does anyone know anything about getting hold of tech support from Cisco for these units? I wouldn't know where to start. Fell into website and drowned.

Unless I've misunderstood, I can't seem to see any MAC address filtering whitelist capability in the Cisco Mobility Express docs, although I've only had a very brief look at it. I must have got that wrong? Assuming for a moment that there is no MAC address whitelist, I suppose I would have to either live without it, one maintenance chore less, or else go to 802.1x.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 06:11:42 AM by Weaver »

aesmith

• Kitizen
Re: Cisco 1830 WAP
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 04:46:22 PM »

First of all make sure you specify the standalone version, part number for UK would be AIR-AP1852I-E-K9C.    We've not used Mobility Express ourselves, only the IOS standalone APs or the "lightweight" APs in conjunction with a controller.   Mobility Express is sort of half-way between with a less sophisticated controller function co-hosted on one AP.   I can't see where you configure MAC address filtering either.  On a controller it's under the WLAN properties.

Regarding Cisco support, this is via Cisco's services, either the Smartnet family where service delivery is direct from Cisco to end user, or via shared support services where a Cisco partner fronts the service.   These services provide technical support, entitlement to software upgrades and hardware repair/replacement.   Whoever you buy the AP from should be able to sell the support contract as well.

Informal support is available on the Cisco forums, open to any registered user with or without a support contract.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 12:03:17 AM »

I’ve just noticed that I’ve been conned by Amazon. I ordered a WAP from them listed as 1850. There is a long wait time for the item to come in, which I was happy enough about. Today I happened to look at the item listing again and noticed that it says 1830 in the body of the blurb and so too in the part code which is AIR-AP1832I-E-K9. So that's why it was a lot cheaper than I was expecting. It is probably an 1830 then.

What's the difference between an 1830 and an 1850 (apart from ~£100)? Do they both have the same higher-level software feature set?

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 05:07:04 PM »

Access point comparison is here .. http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/wireless/access-points/product-comparison.html

Quick skim through gives the differences in the radio - 3x3:2 MU/SU-MIMO vs 4x4:4 (SU-MIMO) 4x4:3 (MU-MIMO), one Gigabit Ethernet port instead of two.   Part number should be AIR-AP1832I-E-K9C.   The "C" on the end indicates the standalone Mobility Express variant rather than requiring external controller.   There is a process to convert if the worst comes to the worst and the get wrong version.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 06:18:46 AM »

Thank goodness you were on the ball, thank you very much. I have instantly cancelled the order.

I have no way of knowing what was going to be delivered by Amazon.

1. The link in the list of my outstanding orders points to a page whose text doesn't match that which I remember from the time of sale - as the seller now shown is not Amazon themselves, but I had specifically bought an item direct from them.

2. The title now shows 1850 and "1830" in the part code, as I mentioned earlier.

3. The title has no K9C in it yet the blurb both mentions Mobility Express and talks about controlerless operation, the latter luckily being something I knew I had to be on the lookout for.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 10:03:47 AM by Weaver »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 10:14:28 AM »

Luckily, thanks to aesmith, I started looking around again from scratch. Looking on eBay I found qty 2 of the 1830 WAPs for 2 × £200 less:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cisco-Aironet-1830-Series-With-Mobility-Express-/262781803895?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=bEFQ0eFmAQ2vFi68FtzaFyl8a1U%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 12:55:32 PM »

Would anyone have an email address for a human at Cisco?

I'd like to find out where / whether I can buy some direct tech support, or at least get an idea how much that might cost p/a (shudder to think).

I just wasted another half hour roaming round in the labyrinthine website full of marketing speak and gigantic glossy images, amongst pages which don't fit even in an iPad Pro's massive display. I just gave up exhausted in the end, after the web-based chat apps that don't work at all and links that take you to the wrong page or round in circles. And this is with me at my best. Grrr.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 03:29:16 PM »

For reference and configuration information I'd start from here ...

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/wireless/aironet-1830i-access-points/model.html
From that page the AP hardware installation doc is here ..
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/1830/quick/guide/ap1830getstart.html
Mobility Express Configuration and User Guide
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/mob_exp/83/user_guide/b_ME_User_Guide_83.html

Both can be downloaded as PDF, the Mobility Express also available as ePub and Mobi.

Regarding support, let's just say that you're not a typical Cisco customer in that you're technically capable but not familiar with their products.   Most Cisco sales go to more complex networks where it wouldn't be practical to provide direct end-user instruction, and these customers would either use a Cisco partner or would have their own personnel.

The Cisco community forums (supportforums.cisco.com) are good for end user and basic questions, and there are also no doubt other Cisco people on this forum.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2017, 12:53:36 PM »

Perhaps too good to be true, as the ebay 1830s have never turned up. Hope to goodness I will have some recourse with ebay if I have been had. Can't remember if Mrs Weaver paid ebay by credit card or not.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2017, 01:34:14 PM »

Ebay's pretty good in these cases, tending to side with the buyer.   Raise a dispute on Ebay.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2017, 05:18:39 PM »

I find paying by PayPal with a credit card to be the safest option for purchases over £100 on eBay. It gives both PayPal buyer protection and your credit card protection. Under £100 I use PayPal with my debit card. Unless there's proof of delivery they always side with the buyer so no worries. That's if you used PayPal of course. EBay disputes can be trickier if you paid with a card direct.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2017, 07:25:59 PM »

I've had two or three occasions with eBay purchases either not arriving or being something other than what was advertised.

Payment, in all cases, was by PayPal and the relevant funds were swiftly returned once the case, opened with eBay, was (promptly) decided in my favour.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

phi2008

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2017, 11:57:18 AM »

Why go for Cisco over say over Ubiquiti - which are very popular. The enterprise companies simply aim to tie you into support contracts and licences - I used to run Cisco and Juniper routers at home. But there's not a good argument for that on cost/benefit.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2017, 08:12:12 PM »

I did think about ubiquiti but it doesn't work with Apple kit - see Revk's blog, who sells ubiquiti.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2017, 12:58:29 PM »

Still no joy from ebay seller. Mrs Weaver is chasing it.
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything