Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: VDSL Modem  (Read 1939 times)

Sandlake

• Just arrived
VDSL Modem
« on: January 16, 2017, 10:08:06 AM »

Hi
I have had Plusnet Fibre for about 5 years now and it just ticks along fine. 5 years ago I understood how it all worked but nowadays I just use it and no longer care for how it works (pretty much). Anyhow the inevitable has happened, several times in the last week I have had no internet and the resolution is to reboot the BT Openreach Modem - an Echolife HG612  - a rebadged Huawei I believe. Plusnet no longer supply modems and as I am happily using it with an Asus router I am not sure whether to source a replacement modem from Ebay or bite the bullet and use a combined modem/router.
Is the HG612 the only modem I can use? I have looked my cabinet up and it is 'Huawei'. Does it need configuration (if I buy it off Ebay)?

Doesn't seem right to me to use a Modem/Router as just a modem in bridged mode, OK temporarily I guess.

Thanks

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
Re: VDSL Modem
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 10:42:43 AM »

Hi.

You could buy another hg6123b and plug it in without any config and it will just work. If you would like some stats you can unlock it if you wish. I suppose from what you have said the one you have could be failing. Without additional info its hard to figure out whats happening.

Sandlake

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 11:25:55 AM »

Thanks

I am simply assuming my modem is on it's way out, strange after 5 years to need rebooting 3 times in a week!

5 years is a long time and I would have thought that there would be a new shiny all singing modem to replace this one but I guess if it just works....

My fibre broadband is fast, really fast. The cabinet is literally across the street, I'm looking at it as I type, there is really no need for me to tweak my settings

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 11:53:14 AM »

It certainly shouldn't need frequent rebooting like that, so it may well be on the way out. Without seeing your stats we couldn't be sure, but from what you say it appears that any respectable VDSL2 modem would serve you well. If you want to see comprehensive stats, then a Broadcom based modem (such as the HG612 unlocked) would be best. For an all-in-one solution, there's a long thread on the subject here: http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,14436.0.html
  Eric

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 11:59:34 AM »

Have you tried rebooting the Asus instead of the modem just to rule out the router?

Sandlake

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 12:41:03 PM »

Thanks, I did initially think it was the router - I sorta dismiss the modem as it sits in the corner and just works but rebooting my router didn't make any difference. The last 2 times all I have done is gone straight to the modem and rebooted it and voila everything is working fine.
As I say I never touch the modem and now that I have I have discovered that it is very warm, I have turned it up on it's side to allow better ventilation - but I think I need to look for at least a backup

Thanks

anything