Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Wanted modem for far away cabinet-advice please  (Read 2084 times)

minesabeer

• Just arrived
Wanted modem for far away cabinet-advice please
« on: January 14, 2017, 06:40:26 PM »

Hello and thank you for taking the time to read through this post, and I look forward to the words of wisdom I'm sure to recieve.
A little background, currently with 'minusnet' and about to leave there adsl service due to being fed up with there now non existant support, 20 mins waiting for call to be answered is far to long in this all to short life of ours. So therefore I am looking to join either Idnet or Pulse8 with a view of there fttc offerings. Having already got and using an Apple Airport Extreme  https://support.apple.com/kb/SP672?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US  as my router which is working well, I'm here to ask which vdsl modem would you advise on pairing with it, bearing in mind I live out in the sticks, and a long way from the cabinet. I have been looking at the Draytek Vigor 130, http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/business/vigor-130    do you think it is upto the task or are there better options? My neighbours are recieving in the region of 10mbs down if that helps at all.
I hope all this makes some sense to you experts in these matters, all I wish is to make the right investment first time, been down that road before........
Thank you
Mines

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Wanted modem for far away cabinet-advice please
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 08:10:36 PM »

Welcome to the Kitz forum. :)

I really need to ask a few questions --
  • Do you know the approximate distance between PCP & its fibre twin and your own abode?
  • Do you know which type of equipment is installed in the active cabinet?
  • Have you looked for the estimate of synchronisation speed that you would get with a G.993.2 service, by entering your telephone number into the BT Broadband Availability Checker?
As you already have a router device with which you are satisfied, you really only need a G.993.2 modem . . . Without knowing anything more about the possible service you may receive, I would suggest that you initially invest in an Huawei HG612 (type 3B), from eBay. Once the service is operational and experience thereof has been obtained, then other devices (to act purely as a modem) could be considered.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 08:13:22 PM »

Hi MAB,

I have a relatively long and noisy line, on ADSL I get around 10k down and on VDSL I get around 15k both with occasional dropouts due to noise etc.. 

I can give you some observations based on my own experiences.

• The most stable modems for me are based on Broadcom so I use Zyxel VMG8924 routers as modems (there are lots of other Broadcom based options on the market)
  • Lantiq based modems, like the Draytek 130 you are looking at, give me a slightly faster connection but with increased drop-outs instability - but still useable.  I have a TP-Link W8980 router I occasionally use as a back-up with this chipset
  • The Ralink / MediaTek / TrendChip chipset based routers I have tried on my line have been unusable with a lot of drop-outs (I tried the Asus AC55U and the D-Link 320B-Z1)

I am sure the experts will be on later :D

EDIT : Oops cross-post with burakkucat so..  ^^^^ whatever burrakucat says ^^^^

Chunks
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 08:15:46 PM by Chunkers »

minesabeer

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 09:10:53 PM »

Welcome to the Kitz forum. :)

I really need to ask a few questions --
  • Do you know the approximate distance between PCP & its fibre twin and your own abode?
  • Do you know which type of equipment is installed in the active cabinet?
  • Have you looked for the estimate of synchronisation speed that you would get with a G.993.2 service, by entering your telephone number into the BT Broadband Availability Checker?
As you already have a router device with which you are satisfied, you really only need a G.993.2 modem . . . Without knowing anything more about the possible service you may receive, I would suggest that you initially invest in an Huawei HG612 (type 3B), from eBay. Once the service is operational and experience thereof has been obtained, then other devices (to act purely as a modem) could be considered.

answers

1) dispite much looking I cannot find the distances you require, I've located ? the cabinet via CodeLook, and using google maps I believe the distance to be 2414 meters, although may not be exact, or even the right cabinet come to that.... :shrug2:
2) the cabinet is a Huawei, with the following details FTTC Available from 17th December 2015 Phase BDUK CDS 12b 154 Huawei, details obtained from CodeLook
3) Vdsl clean 10 down 'high'  4.7 down 'low'
    Vdsl impacted 7.1 down 'high'  2.5 down 'low'

Regarding the HG612 can I ask is that the Huawei version and not the ECI one? Also if its already unlocked and flashed with latest firmware, is that the better option? Apologies for so many noob questions & answers come to that.....
Thanks again
Mines

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 10:53:36 PM »

Hmm . . . at 2414 metres there will be very little to have with a G.993.2 circuit.

The BT Broadband Availability Checker will tell you the PCP number through which your circuit is connected. Does that number agree with the CodeLook data?

A Huawei equipped cabinet is good news.

When looking on eBay, ensure that the device is a Huawei HG612 and not one of the ECI devices. The unlocking of a standard HG612 is quite straightforward and is well documented. So there is no great need to look for an unlocked one.

Here is one example.

minesabeer

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 11:23:17 AM »

Quote from: b*cat
The BT Broadband Availability Checker will tell you the PCP number through which your circuit is connected. Does that number agree with the CodeLook data?

Yes it does, unfortunately I cant seem to make the cabinet magically transport itself closer...oh well....

Quote from: b*cat
A Huawei equipped cabinet is good news.

Hurrah  ;D ;D ;D some good news at least...

Happy to do the unlocking of the HG612 myself having read through the instructions, seems straightforward enough, thanks for that.

Thank you again for giving your expert knowledge and time to this its much appreciated.

[Moderator edit for quote tags.]
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 01:33:02 PM by burakkucat »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2017, 01:34:05 PM »

Thank you again for giving your expert knowledge and time to this its much appreciated.

You're welcome.  :)

anything