Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: VIDEO – Adrian Kennard on the ISP Conflict with BT’s SFI Fault Fixing  (Read 2655 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

VIDEO – Adrian Kennard on the ISP Conflict with BT’s SFI Fault Fixing

Running an ISP is far from easy and for those providers that make use of BT’s national UK telecoms network then there can be added complications, particularly when it comes to the tedious task of trying to get a broadband fault fixed by an engineer. Now AAISP’s boss, Adrian Kennard, has done a video to explain.

In theory BT (Openreach / Wholesale) should be responsible for fixing any broadband faults that exist within their own realm, which reflects most of the fixed line network that sits between the ISP’s own platform and the end-users Network Terminating Equipment, such as your BT Master Socket (e.g. NTE5). In practice it’s not always quite so straightforward.. (it helps to have some pre-existing understanding of this subject in order to follow the video).

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFdZcEx8oog[/youtube]

A BT Spokesperson told ISPreview.co.uk:

“We’re sorry to hear about any issues which might have had a negative impact on our customers.

We work closely with all of our Communications Provider customers to ensure we understand their needs and take on board any feedback they have about our products and services.

Over the last 12 months, we’ve paid particular attention to SFIs – giving customers advice on how they to use them effectively and where it might be appropriate to explore other options.

We will continue to hold regular customer forums to discuss such issues, and our account teams are on-hand if CPs want to speak with us directly.”
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

tommy45

• Reg Member

BTWholesale try this approach Adrian talks of, Currently i'm seeing contention early evening 5-6pm on occasions and peak time evening at so point between 8-12pm, Increase in jitter too as well as inconsistent throughput to levels that fail the BTW TAP3 test, My ISP zen after some conversation with BT  report that they cannot find and problem with the connection  and had conveniently passed the buck to BT OR , for an engineer's visit, lol  So i  have explained once again the issue is contention during peak hours and that no engineer visiting my home is going to fix that, and that the issue is not with my equipment  or anything my side of the demarcation point, and requested the escalate it  and request that they change the SVLAN to a less utilised one , as i am not agreeing to pay charges for an engineer visit that will not fix the issue
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 05:28:19 PM by tommy45 »

broadstairs

• Kitizen

I've just sat down and been through the whole video. Basically I agree wholeheartedly with Adrian. We need someone like him to be in OFCOM and hold BT to account. BT want their cake and eat it, they sell a product which they are responsible for but then expect to be paid to fix what is their responsibility anyway. Yes as Adrian says a clause to charge where either the ISP or end user has manifestly failed is reasonable and sensible but apart from that the ISP should never pay any additional fees and the end user should only be charged where they have actually failed and it is provable.

However snow flakes chance in hell comes to mind as the likelihood of this ever changing, unless someone with a big enough pot of money challenges BT in the courts over unreasonable terms or breach of contract!

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick

Isn't this what Ofcom ought to be sorting out if they want to be actually worth keeping around? BT having far too much power so they can simply behave however they want to.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF

checking a line for voice faults when it has broadband issues, only BT :)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen

Just sounds like Adrian is getting peed of with OR charges to AAISP and when you think about it there rule is to find and fix any line fault for their customer but this must be taking a toll on AA budget by picking up OR charges from their tenacious customers