Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: The SSD Write Endurance test results are in: Updated for 850 EVO/PRO  (Read 36744 times)

snadge

• Kitizen

this is from an experiment thats been ongoing a couple of years now

results: (all are MLC drives except the Samsung 840 EVO which is a TLC drive and thus has less endurance)

1) Samsung 840 Pro = 2400Tb
2) Kingston Hyper X 3K = 2100Tb *
3) Corsair Neutron GTX = 1200Tb
4) Kingston Hyper X 3K = 900Tb
5) Samsung 840 EVO = 800Tb

* see article for more info, they used two of these drives as they have special write compression to increase endurance (I dont know how this affects write performance though) so they used two, one normally and one in a manner that the made write compression was useless/inactive which would probably be the one that ended beneath the other

The article does say ..."The 840 Pro was among the most well-behaved drives in the experiment. It remained free of uncorrectable errors until the very end, and it accumulated reallocated sectors at a surprisingly consistent rate." ... which shows with it also being the top performing SATA SSD...is the one too buy if you want SATA - of course you can buy NVMe, M2 and PCIE SSD's now that allow for even faster speeds

http://techreport.com/review/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead

UPDATE FOR SAMSUNG 850 SERIES:

Ive managed to find 3D-NAND 850 EVO and PRO results... in a nutshell 3D NAND doubles endurance compared to 2D PLANAR (a far cry from Samsungs ten times figure)

basically:
a TLC 3D NAND drive (EVO) is good for around 2,000 P/E cycles (a 250GB drive should last on average 23 years writing at 20GB per day)
an MLC 3D NAND drive (PRO) is good for around 6,000 P/E cycles (a 256GB drive should last on average 70 years at 20GB writes per day)
Lifespan with 20GiB of Host Writes per Day with 1.5x Write Amplification

to roughly work out the life span for an EVO drive, simply DOUBLE the total capacity and change it from GB to TB and thats its ballpark lifespan
to roughly work out the life span for a PRO drive, simply times the total capacity by 6 and change it from GB to TB and thats its ballpark lifespan

over the past 2 years my AVERAGE use has been 45.45GB a day... but ive been using HIBERNATE havent I & streaming through the C:\Drive...even when i was sleeping the PC it still writes to the HIBS file (8Gb) for Hybrid Sleep - so ive disabled it, got Opera Portable installed in and running from a 1GB Ram Drive and my usage is now circa 7-15GB a day, some virus scanners such as Kaspersky like to dump a ton of writes when scanning too.. I only observed this in Kaspersky where near the end of its scan it started to dump over 10GB of writes in less than a minute so I cancelled it!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 03:29:12 AM by snadge »
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: The SSD Write Endurance test has finally ended & results are in
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 05:07:28 PM »

the 850 pro which I have with its 3d MLC nand should get terrific results, shame these tests take so long as by the time they finish these are not the latest models on sale.

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 05:36:19 PM »

shame these tests take so long as by the time they finish these are not the latest models on sale.

that was my thought exactly - I have the 850 EVO, wished I had paid more for the 850 Pro cos after 3 years Im already at 30Tb due to streaming on KODI, so I've moved the install to my HDD in the hope it will stop the fast uprise in writes

these aren't exact but rough:

year 1 4Tb
year 2 17Tb
year 3 30Tb

Im now keeping a dated a record just to keep an eye on it, if streaming is affecting it then I'm going to have to go back to good old fashioned downloads to the HDD lol
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 05:38:21 PM by snadge »

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 05:50:13 PM »

My OS runs on a Samsung SM951 NVME 256gb. I wish I'd waited for the Samsung 950 Pro to come out but I'm still amazed at the speed of NVME drives. Would love to see a similar test for m2 ultra drives.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 06:24:45 PM »

1089 powered on hours so circa 3 years, didnt realise I had the 850 pro this long.

writes is at 8.26tb.

Some of the things I have done.

Created a ram disk for browser temporary files, some people dont realise but browsers generate a ton of writes, e.g. if you watch a video its written to the storage as it plays.  Every image, every page is copied to the storage.
Steam, even if you download games to a hdd it first copies the files to the default cache path which is where steam gets installed which of course defaults to c:\program files, to move that I made a ntfs link using steam mover.

I dont worry about system restore and page file.  Whilst the page file generates writes, moving that to a hdd would slow things down and of course you buy an ssd for speed.  System restore is just too important to turn off.

I usually install new games to hdd but if I later find the loading times are lacking, or maybe get stutters from i/o and I am putting hours into the game then I move it to the ssd.

With all this said tho I do think modern ssd's even consumer one's are more reliable than hdd's.  Its just that psychology that has people wrapping them in cotton wool due to the failures of early generation drives.  One issue is that when ssd's fail its not a soft fail, but it can be completely bricked and thats whats scaring people.

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 06:34:28 PM »

1089 powered on hours so circa 3 years, didnt realise I had the 850 pro this long.

writes is at 8.26tb.

Some of the things I have done.

Created a ram disk for browser temporary files, some people dont realise but browsers generate a ton of writes, e.g. if you watch a video its written to the storage as it plays.  Every image, every page is copied to the storage.
Steam, even if you download games to a hdd it first copies the files to the default cache path which is where steam gets installed which of course defaults to c:\program files, to move that I made a ntfs link using steam mover.

I dont worry about system restore and page file.  Whilst the page file generates writes, moving that to a hdd would slow things down and of course you buy an ssd for speed.  System restore is just too important to turn off.

I usually install new games to hdd but if I later find the loading times are lacking, or maybe get stutters from i/o and I am putting hours into the game then I move it to the ssd.

With all this said tho I do think modern ssd's even consumer one's are more reliable than hdd's.  Its just that psychology that has people wrapping them in cotton wool due to the failures of early generation drives.  One issue is that when ssd's fail its not a soft fail, but it can be completely bricked and thats whats scaring people.

what method do you use far RAM cache? (bet this is probs a bit faster too??)

Just I use web a lot and just realised I watch a lot of YT vids as well so... wow 3Tb in 3 years...ive done 10 times that...just goes to show, I dont game much (have few lego games installed on HDD but never play em much) dont have steam either

so yeah I will have to look into making a RAM drive, I have 8Gb so ive got enough

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 07:10:55 PM »

I use qsoft ramdisk.

You will also want to cap the disk caching in the browser so to ensure it doesnt overwhelm the ramdisk.

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2017, 07:37:08 PM »

I've just installed RAMdisk which only allows 1Gb - I've managed to change FIREFOX successfully, using 400Mb in its own folder on the RAM drive - but - following instructions on a page that showed you how to edit the registry for CHROME to change the location and size of the cache didn't work, so I'm going to have to remove those changes and try something else as I like to use both browsers

can you help with that?

would qsoft be a better option>?

thanks

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2017, 08:28:49 PM »

I have a batch file to start chrome, the ramdisk is on R:

Here is the syntax you need.

Code: [Select]
start chrome.exe --disk-cache-dir=R:/CHROME2 --disk-cache-size=524288000
This batch file is in the same path as chrome.exe, if in a different path specify the full path to chrome.exe.

You can also set the cache files parameters using the policy editor templates, but the templates need to be installed first so this is the easier method for you.

Be aware unlike linux ramdisks, windows ramdisks always allocate full amount of ram to the size.

So e.g. on linux a 1 gig ramdisk using 100meg space only uses 100meg of ram., but on windows it uses 1 gig of ram.

An alternative idea is to point the windows user profile temp folder to the ramdisk which would be used for all temporary files on the system, however I dont do that as then you can accidently fill it up and it may also be too small for some stuff.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 08:31:52 PM by Chrysalis »

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2017, 08:50:42 PM »

cheers for your help, what about editing the shortcuts Target>?

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" --disk-cache-dir=G:/Chrome Caching --disk-cache-size=420000000

as this was suggested on the thread I was reading but it said the registry edit would be better through Policies?? (didnt work)

I have 1Gb RAM drive and assigned 400Mb to Firefox cache - and want to assign 400 to Chrome, this leave 200Mb for overheads if i want to add something in there...doubt it

I have it set to save to the SSD and load from SSD BUT i always use Hibernate/Sleep anyway which will help reduce the writes of the drive back to the SSD

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2017, 09:00:55 PM »

that will work also I think, I use a batch file as I have a ton of other stuff added that is too long for a shortcut.

registry is outdated, and chrome doesnt check it anymore.  Its either syntax on the command or the policy editor.

http://woshub.com/how-to-configure-google-chrome-via-group-policies/

snadge

• Kitizen

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2017, 09:06:06 PM »

well that might work as its writing to the policy registry which is what the policy editor also does, but I believe the command line to be the simplest way to achieve what you want.

When I said outdated I meant that early chrome used to store settings in the registry directly but no longer does.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2017, 09:07:18 PM »

My main drive is a 512GB 950 Pro NVME,  also have 960GB Sandisk,  along with 32GB ram, will have a look tomorrow and see how much I've written.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2017, 09:10:57 PM »

pretty high end rig ronski :)

mine is puny to those specs.

I want to upgrade to 32 myself as I have 2 8 gig sticks and could add another 2 but I think one of the 2 empty dimm slots is damaged (you may remember an old post of mine when I upgraded to haswell), so buying another 16 gig of ram to only find out it wouldnt work would be annoying so have stuck with what I got.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

anything