Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Second ADSL line stats  (Read 5601 times)

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: Second ADSL line stats
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2017, 01:10:51 PM »

I wonder if the pair that they ultimately connected my phone line was an old one that was previously connected to a DSLAM in the exchange.
Can you expand on this? It shouldn't make any difference if the line has previously been connected to a DSLAM/MSAN. They can't install a brand new pair and an older pair doesn't perform worse because it has previously been used.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

huwwatkins

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2017, 08:38:18 PM »

Can you expand on this? It shouldn't make any difference if the line has previously been connected to a DSLAM/MSAN. They can't install a brand new pair and an older pair doesn't perform worse because it has previously been used.

Yes - thinking about it logically it shouldn't make any difference. I was wondering if it was previously used and wasn't connected properly in the exchange as it would now be marked as inactive.

They did mention that maybe they would need to get a frames engineer to take a look.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2017, 11:06:06 PM »

It could be a faulty port on the MSAN/DSLAM, which a frames engineer would be the 1 to fix it. The fact the line was previously used should make no difference though.

I would be asking the ISP to request the frames engineer connect the 2nd line to the same MSAN as the 1st line, providing there's capacity. Failing that a pair swap. For the Hlog and line attenuation the 2nd line should be much closer to the 1st line.

huwwatkins

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2017, 06:38:55 PM »

update from origin

Openreach have raised a 'tags' query for this order which we hope will resolve the issue, we are due an update Friday morning and will inform you straight away of the outcome.

Any idea what a tags query is?  I'm not quite sure what the holdup is. This was supposed to be a sim provide, Friday will be 7 days on from the phone line install and it doesn't look like the broadband order has been started yet.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2017, 09:06:39 PM »

The sim provide is OpenReach's part, phone line and broadband simultaneously. OpenReach appear to have done this as the phone line's on and you're getting sync. The delay is entirely down to Origin (or their supplier). I would assume/hope that you won't be charged for any broadband costs until the broadband is working and you can establish a PPP session.

huwwatkins

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2017, 03:29:41 PM »

So, the order completed yesterday and I can now connect. Sync speed unchanged at 3232Kbps. Origin are fobbing me off saying I have to wait 10 days for the DLM to sort it out - which we know it wont.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2017, 04:17:21 PM »

Well if they do make you wait, it's 10 days from getting sync. It's between you and the DSLAM that DLM cares about and has already been monitoring.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2017, 08:09:46 PM »

I don't think the training period will increase synch speed.   On 20CN at least it starts off at the default 6dB, ie as fast as it's ever going to go.

huwwatkins

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2017, 01:11:20 PM »

OK - so the provisioning team are telling me that BTo have detected a high resistance fault on the line. I guess that would explain the low sync (and possibly higher attenuation)

I'm assuming this would require an engineer out to fix?

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2017, 01:25:20 PM »

Definitely an engineer will be required
Pages: 1 [2]

anything