Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Home Hub 5 And FTTC.  (Read 1160 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Home Hub 5 And FTTC.
« on: December 26, 2016, 11:42:50 AM »

We are going to see a friend of Mrs Tickmike tomorrow, she told me she had taken an BT offer for FTTC and has had it for 4 weeks.
She told me it keeps cutting off lots of times a day :o  She said the lights flash on the router after its dropped out, it sounds like it's not a WiFi issue.

I do not know any other details at this stage.

Looking at her address the FTTC cab is about 15M from her door.

I would think she will have a 'Home Hub 5', do I remember some problems with this device. ?

I will not have time to do much tomorrow, not even have time to get the router stats.

Any advice about this hub could be useful.

I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
Re: Home Hub 5 And FTTC.
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2016, 11:56:14 AM »

If it's a new contract then it'll more likely be BTs new Smart Hub (Home Hub 6 effectively).
BTs forums are full of people having issues with these  :(.
Read and weep - https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/bd-p/OtherBB. :help:
If it's a Home Hub 5 then these are generally less problematic, with the 'B' variant being better on Huawei cabinets as it has a Broadcom chipset.

If you have a spare VDSL modem/router than I'd go armed with that and see if it works any better.
You could set it up in advance to save time.
 :)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 12:02:54 PM by tubaman »
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A