Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Single thread vs Multithread speed test issues on Pulse8 Line  (Read 18009 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: Single thread vs Multithread speed test issues on Pulse8 Line
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2017, 07:20:22 AM »

why is the base latency so high? you interleaved?

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2017, 10:48:47 AM »

Hi

Do you have a static IP address?  Just wondering if your IP has changed and that chart is for someone else now who has picked up your IP?

Also sometimes a router can decide the Pings are some sort of attack and keep blocking them, this can become patchy if it's borderline on triggering.

Regards

Phil

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2017, 01:25:00 PM »

Do you have a static IP address?  Just wondering if your IP has changed and that chart is for someone else now who has picked up your IP?

Hi Phil,

Feeling pretty stupid now.

No I am on a dynamic IP address.  Every other time my IP address changes, I have been presented with a wall of redness and because it was recording something I thought it had jumped back onto the same IP address with the product regrade.

I was somewhat surprised at the time, With the benefit of hindsight, it just feels naive!   :-[

Ping traces now reset on f8lure and TBB BQM.

Request in with Pulse8 to move to a fixed IP address, once their regrade order (back to 76XL) is processed by TTB.

Bit frustrated with the apparent disconnect between Pulse8 and TTB at the moment, so hoping that will improve.

If not, I may be looking at other options.

Thanks,

Jon

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2017, 02:38:34 PM »

I have refrained from playing back a blow by blow account of what is going on.

Pulse8 are progressing the issue with TTB, but only on the basis of my TTB speed test results having dropped by 10Mbps.  TTB are really reluctant to take the TBB speedtest results into consideration.

Progress is really slow though and my thoughts are moving more in the direction of migrating away.  I'm going to rule out A&A on the grounds of cost but Aquiss, IDNet, Uno and Zen are all under consideration.

Coming off TTB MPF onto BTW isn't cheap, but Zen and Aquiss offer the most cost effective route back.

Zen will cost £30 migration fee, but provide a ZyXel 1312 for a delivery charge.  I'm hardly likely to use in in place of my VMG-8924, but possibly useful to have a back up router to jump past one of the hurdles when trying to log faults.  Zen have confirmed that I would be on their LLU network rather than on BTW.

Aquiss have a three months fibre free offer on until the end of the month, which would cover the migration costs.

IDNet and Uno are not cheap options to migrate to just to prove a point so see them as less preferable from a cost perspective, however both Zen and Aquiss have had some history of single thread slow downs in the not too distant past, so they may be better long term bets.

I would welcome your thoughts on the above choices and indeed whether you think I would be foolish to jump from Pulse8 for the sake of a single thread speed that is roughly half what might be expected (see http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=148710995603882520677 ) when all my line parameters look good.

Any TTB speed test results or BQM graphs for fibre connections on any of the above would be much appreciated.

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2017, 12:16:25 AM »

Turns out Uno are a non-option as they can't offer me a fibre to fibre migration path off TTB.  And then there were three. ;)

Lots of proactive pre-migration support from Jon Green from Zen over on TBB, so they are probably in the hot seat at the moment.

My email chain with Martin Pitt at Aquiss dried up after an initial response so not as good a first impression, but will call them and IDNet over the next few days.

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2017, 10:25:07 AM »

The guy on the Uno sales desk suggested that changing the MTU setting can improve single thread performance and early investigation suggested that may well be the case.  My single thread speeds on the TTB tester improved; the slowdown I had seen on the TTB tester since being on a fixed IP disappeared.

However as I did more testing, the MTU settings that worked became more and more random and I started thinking it wasn't the MTU at all, but dropping the PPP session and re-enabling it that was critical.

Sure enough I've reset my MTU to 1492 and a couple of session drops later and my connection is showing full speed again.

Not sure why there should be good sessions and not so good sessions, but that appears to be the case.

I am assuming that because I can get good sessions that the issue isn't an issue with my configuration and the issue must be either within the TTB network or possibly the OR bit of the connection between my master socket and the exchange.

P8 are struggling to get anywhere with TTB, so it still looks as migration may offer me the best chance of proving it is the TTB network at fault.

Happy to stand corrected on any of this, so your thoughts would be appreciated (if I haven't bored you to death with this thread).

Decision time beckons. :-\

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2017, 10:54:45 AM »

Hi jaydub

I could be wrong so apologies in advance, but I always worked on the theory to break a session, you disconnect for minimum 20 minutes, then reconnect, which should give you a different session. If connecting back within 20 minutes, your still connecting to old session

Many thanks

John

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2017, 11:11:49 AM »

Doesn't look to be the case with me, as I seem to float between gateways when resetting the MTU (which causes a PPP session drop and restart) or manually stopping and restarting the PPP session.  Some of them stick a bit, but I never go back onto the same gateway for more than 2 or 3 times at a go.

I have been doing a traceroute with each session restart and the pattern is not gateway specific.

Overall, about 40% of the sessions over the last couple of days have been 'good ones', but these are spread around the 4 different gateways.

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2017, 10:14:52 AM »

Hi

Have you seen https://aastatus.net/2358, seems like a similar issue, could be related.

Regards

Phil

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2017, 11:59:56 AM »

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the spot.

Pulse8 have managed to sort out whatever the issue was with TTB.  As of 1st March the good sessions went from <40% to 100%.  I see the occasional not so good TBB result, but for the most part I am seeing this now:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=148896057188254699524

Adam at Pulse8 believes the fix has been applied as a result of their escalation of the issue that they raised with TTB and is not related to the A&A issue.

The fact that the A&A issue is related to their Telehouse interconnect and still isn't resolved would seem to confirm this.

Pulse8 have just dropped their FTTC prices, so will be staying with them for at least the near future as long as the service remains as it currently is.

Thanks,

Jon

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2017, 09:32:20 PM »

Can I ask a general, ignorant question: "How does it know?" (like the thermos flask, "the greatest invention of the century")

How does it know to be slow? Increased latency, or packet loss for no reason?

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2017, 12:09:19 AM »

Well there's a question and a half.

I have absolutely no idea what was causing the issue.  TBB BQM graphs are clean with a steady 12ms ping response.  No dripping blood either.

See this one from 18th Feb, when I was suffering from slow single thread speeds:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/monitors/share/672c0ede7230c8c5ba2bb7974125a9a9-18-02-2017.html

compared to yesterday's when I was getting full single thread speeds:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/monitors/share/672c0ede7230c8c5ba2bb7974125a9a9-08-03-2017.html

No obvious difference as far as I can see.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

anything