Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Christmas Lights REIN  (Read 6143 times)

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
Re: Christmas Lights REIN
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2016, 08:09:12 AM »

Have you noticed more people are decorating the outside with Xmas lights this year, I updated are old 1996 outside bulbs this year with 62 meters with 960 LEDS it looks amazing and does not effect this FTTC circuit and uses less power than the old 48 bulbs

Are they some of the Chinese ones labelled "For indoor or outdoor use only".
I can only assume that in China other types of use exist!
 ;D
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2016, 08:16:13 AM »

Not sure whether related, but watching Iplayer last evening, 9.30ish,was plagued with buffering. I'm on ADSL2+ and sync at 8367/815 kbps. Router to Freesat HDR is by Powerline adapter from upstairs BT extension. Pacing router by master socket is problematical, because of full occupancy of sockets and other bits 'n pieces.
Our  Pinus Lofticus tree, that has to be located near the TV and HDR (available sockets) has two light strings; one older static, the other newer pulsating. They are plugged into a mature 4-gang extension, shared with TV and HDR.

So, I guess the opinion will be to blame router location, Powerline, lights, 4-gang extension in any chosen order. Thing is that I have watched IPlayer recently with same set-up at a similar time, and had no problem.

I suppose it could also be congestion and also may be have to think the combination of equipment is temporary; thus to be lived with.

That could be because I'm of some age with a wife who ails a the moment.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2016, 10:56:13 AM »

I see there are comments about 'it does not affect my FTTC' , well it would but it would not be noticeable as you are probably way above my 3Mbps download and 380kbps upload (without the lights on and half that with them on).   
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2016, 11:38:12 AM »

I see there are comments about 'it does not affect my FTTC' , well it would but it would not be noticeable as you are probably way above my 3Mbps download and 380kbps upload (without the lights on and half that with them on).

I hope my own comments did not come across as unsympathetic, I do realise that whilst my lights don't affect my service, it does not mean that your neighbours won't affect yours. :(

That said, I have just had a walk with my trusty AM pocket radio, that I won from a twopenny pushover machine on Worthing pier...

With the lights on 'steady',  there is steady clicking throughout the AM band within about 2 or 3 feet of the light strings, but it is not particularly intense and pretty much vanished beyond about 5 feet.    With the lights set to flicker, there is slightly more RFI, but nothing that'd I'd say was of any great significance.

I do emphasise again though, that is just my own lights.  Your neighbour's lights may be a different kettle of fish. :-\

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2016, 02:23:28 PM »

well it would but it would not be noticeable as you are probably way above my 3Mbps download and 380kbps upload (without the lights on and half that with them on).   

If there was an issue it would still be visible regardless of speed - eg 3db drop in SNRm would still be noticeable because REIN affects the true SNR.

Going back to Erics comment.
Forgive me if I'm not understanding, but those graphs appear to show a somewhat reduced SNRM at times but no other impact. What happens to the error rate when the lights are on?

Do you have some graphs of the errors during these times.   Does the SNRm drop at exactly the same time the neighbour puts the lights on?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2016, 02:47:20 PM »

Do you have some graphs of the errors during these times.   
Does the SNRm drop at exactly the same time the neighbour puts the lights on?
I will see if I can find some.     
To the second when they first go on and turned then off.

I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything