Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: UK ISP BT Improves ‘Basic’ Social Phone Tariff for Low Income Users  (Read 1436 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

UK ISP BT Improves ‘Basic’ Social Phone Tariff for Low Income Users

The consumer (retail) division of BT has confirmed that their subsidised BT Basic social tariff, which is a low-cost phone service for those on low-incomes or certain state benefits, has been improved with the addition of a £10 calls cap.

Eligible customers currently pay monthly line rental to BT of just £5.10 (vs £18.99 for standard line rental) and this comes with a call allowance of £1.50, as well as free weekend calls to 0845 and 0870 numbers (up to 60 minutes). All of this can optionally be taken with a special 12GB capped ‘up to’ 17Mbps (ADSL2+) ADSL broadband service and, with BT Basic line rental included, the total cost is just £9.95 a month.

However BT has now further improved this service by introducing a £10 cost cap on calls, which means that customers can make as many calls as they like and they’ll never be charged more than £10 (calls only).

Who can get BT Basic?

You must be getting one of these benefits:

* Income Support

* Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance

* Pensions Credit (Guaranteed Credit)

* Employment and Support Allowance (Income related)

* Universal Credit (and are on zero earnings).

I never knew about this reduced rates. I bet there is a lot who can qualify for this.

I qualify on 2 benefits, though I'm not the bill payer in this property. But I bet some people could get this but didn't know it existed.

BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: UK ISP BT Improves ‘Basic’ Social Phone Tariff for Low Income Users
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 05:07:18 PM »

I think in FTTC areas they should supply a capped 16mbit VDSL connection instead tho.

phi2008

• Reg Member
Re: UK ISP BT Improves ‘Basic’ Social Phone Tariff for Low Income Users
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 12:14:25 AM »

The world is moving on from ADSL and this needs to involve FTTC as well. People don't just select FTTC for absolute speed but also for reasons of reliability - relatively short cable run between cabinet and premises hopefully means less issues with dodgy copper.

An old comment on ThinkBroadband suggested the social tariff was ADSL only, but a comment today on ISPreview suggests you can have it with FTTC - however the FTTC becomes more expensive.

Also I believe BT are the only ones required to provide a social tariff.

anything