Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: iPad Pro and Notes app crashes  (Read 9140 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
iPad Pro and Notes app crashes
« on: December 13, 2016, 03:18:04 AM »

To my surprise, Mrs Weaver just bought me an iPad Pro. Looking good so far on the whole, seems very smooth. Moving all my stuff over was a piece of cake, although re-entering passwords into some systems was a bit of a pain as I hadn't recorded everything as diligently as I should have.

One surprising problem is that the standard Apple Notes app just crashed out four times on me when I was trying to reorder some lines of text using highlight-paragraph, before a cut and paste. Luckily, the app had just managed to commit my latest changes to non-volatile storage somewhere, so, despite each crash, I didn't even lose anything. Has anyone had Notes crash on them?

iOS 10.1.x btw

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
Re: iPad Pro and Notes app crashes
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 11:03:03 AM »

Notes app still crashes a lot, now on iOS 10.2.1

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 05:15:40 PM »

Don't use the App so can't comment personally.  But lots of hits when I search for Notes crashing on iOS 10.  Here's one discussion with a suggested fix too that sounds vaguely credible...

Stating the obvious...  tread very carefully with any such 'fixes' to avoid loss of data, depending  on how precious your notes are.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7664457?start=0&tstart=0

I'll be interested in further updates per your new iPad Pro.   I'm still soldiering on with my old
iPad 2, as my day to day device.   Been in my care for nearly 5 years now, and 6 years since it hit the shops, and still works (-ish), but one day soon might decide I can justify a replacement.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 06:27:20 PM »

I'm really enjoying using the iPad Pro. Having a lot more RAM compared with the iPad 5 I was using before seems to help make apps better behaved.

The only disappointment is the stupid layout and typographic settings in Safari, where everything seems too huge and a lot more stuff could be made to fit on the larger display. I do have a Safari add-in which can reload a currently open page with reduced font-sizes, but this doesn't persist and you have to hit it again and again in every subsequent page load, so it's far from ideal, but still a sanity-saver. If you have the display split with two windows showing, Safari in the one window then appears to be choosing a suitable point size.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 06:34:06 PM »

I suppose Notes is acccessing the iCloud sporadically, but all I can say with certainty is that my crashes seem to be to do with altering or editing text, perhaps especially when this causes layout to be reformatted. One example I noticed was a series of crashes when I was altering text in the middle of a numbered list. Luckily it seemed to save changes frequently so I never lost anything not even the very latest change. Makes you wonder about iCloud write accesses. Could always try the same kind of editing with the internet connection turned off, for the sake of science. No crashes anywhere else other than in Notes.