Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BBC iPlayer testing UHD  (Read 4729 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
BBC iPlayer testing UHD
« on: December 09, 2016, 12:22:37 PM »

i loaded iPlayer on the TV a minute ago, was prompted to test a UHD & HLG clip of Planet Earth.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2016/planet-earth-2-uhd

I'd never heard of HLG but i think it's the Beeb's way of enabling HDR with UHD, while maintaining backwards compatibility for non HDR TVs.   Anyways, the clip looks excellent, I wonder if/when it'll become routine on iPlayer?

My TV is 4K / UHD, but in the year I've had it I have yet to find any 4K content worth watching, barring Netflix home-brewed content that I've never gotten into.  Mine is not HDR, that would undoubtably look even more amazing.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: BBC iPlayer testing UHD
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 01:16:48 PM »

Unfortunately my TVs and projector are only 1080P  :(
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 01:43:29 PM »

Don't feel too left out, the BBC seem to be taking the view that 4k needs HDR to really set it off, which counts me out too.

I'd love to know what it looks like with HDR / HLG.   Maybe next time I'm in John Lewis I'll see if they can demo it for me.

Not sure what TVs the trial is available on.  I think I read on another BBC page it needs to be a TV with built in iPlayer App, and also needs the set-maker to co-operate in some way in their implementation of iPlayer.  Mine's a year old Panasonic, running Firefox OS.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 03:36:32 PM »

I'm going to wait for prices of 4k projectors to drop, only 4k kit I own are my Nvidia Sheild and my receiver/amp.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2016, 04:55:24 PM »

It never matters how long I wait, it always turns out that if I'd waited a bit longer, I'd have got something better.

That said, my TV may have been a better buy than I thought.   I might be wrong, but I now understand the trial currently only appears on Panasonics, and only those that will show HLG.   That would suggest that my TV, while not conforming to any particular HDR tick box, may yet be capable of getting some kind higher dynamic range using HLG.   Its a cx680 series, fwiw.

The UHD/HLG preview does look absolutely stunning, breathtaking, and various other superlatives.   But it's wildlife scenes from Planet Earth, that look already pretty stunning no matter what hardware  you view them on.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 05:01:04 PM by sevenlayermuddle »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2016, 05:16:47 PM »

note HDR itself isnt new, its HDR10 thats new, the marketing machine of sony and co of course want to make out HDR is some brand new invention.  Cameras made in the 1980s had HDR.

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 06:21:56 PM »

I've just bought one of these

http://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-OLED55E6V

Even Dolby Digital not good enough for BBC  :'( they have gone their own way again!!!  >:(
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 06:28:44 PM »

Very nice indeed parkdale, what sound format have the BBC gone with?

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2016, 07:17:43 PM »

Still looking for a way into iplayer UHD menu! so i'm not sure about sound yet. will try to look at this later.

The other half still in shock at the size :o of it...   lol

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2016, 07:24:28 PM »

LOL, aren't they always. A few years ago when we needed a new TV my other half told me not to get a bigger one, I went from a 42" to 47" which was actually smaller as it had no speakers on the sides ;D My cinema screen is 120"    ;D ;D ;D

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2016, 08:44:12 PM »

Still looking for a way into iplayer UHD menu! so i'm not sure about sound yet. will try to look at this later.

You won't bet able to find it unless you have one of the few TVs that are co-operating with the trial that is, basically, a 4K Panasonic less than about a year old.  There may be a few others, now or in coming weeks.

In the Panasonic, you first have to enable 'Beta' functions - open iPlayer, go to settings, select 'Try new features in iPlayer Beta'.  Then scroll down to 'Ultra HD trial'.

But the sound channel not really relevant, it is just the UHD and HLG that is being trialled and demonstrated.

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2016, 06:04:17 PM »

LG are demoing my tv with a beta firmware which has HLG support, hopefully they 'may' include this in a future firmware update :fingers:

Interesting to note that in this thread on AV Forums Panasonic have not? updated the firmware to support HLG, on the current range.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/bbc-begin-user-testing-of-uhd-hdr-iplayer-content-on-panasonic-tvs.2069972/page-2

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2016, 09:41:51 PM »

Since my cx680 is not HDR capable, I've now concluded (until I change my mind) that probably the only effect of HLG I am seeing is the backwards compatibility, ie proof that whilst it does no good it also does no harm.  It does look utterly mind blowingly fantastic but then, as stated earlier, a well-chosen clip from planet earth II will look fantastic, especially in UHD, with or without HLG.

It would be amusing if the whole thing were to turn out to be a kind of placebo, to see if they can extract 'wows' from proud owners of latest tech who are easily hoodwinked. :D

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2017, 11:08:27 PM »

is annoying they limiting to specific tv's and ultra hd.   HDR is not a new tech and has been around since the 80s, my monitor is a 10bit display and would benefit but seems its going to be vendor lock in and also ultra hd lock in.

anything