Chat > Tech Chat

BBC iPlayer testing UHD

(1/3) > >>

sevenlayermuddle:
i loaded iPlayer on the TV a minute ago, was prompted to test a UHD & HLG clip of Planet Earth.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2016/planet-earth-2-uhd

I'd never heard of HLG but i think it's the Beeb's way of enabling HDR with UHD, while maintaining backwards compatibility for non HDR TVs.   Anyways, the clip looks excellent, I wonder if/when it'll become routine on iPlayer?

My TV is 4K / UHD, but in the year I've had it I have yet to find any 4K content worth watching, barring Netflix home-brewed content that I've never gotten into.  Mine is not HDR, that would undoubtably look even more amazing.

Ronski:
Unfortunately my TVs and projector are only 1080P  :(

sevenlayermuddle:
Don't feel too left out, the BBC seem to be taking the view that 4k needs HDR to really set it off, which counts me out too.

I'd love to know what it looks like with HDR / HLG.   Maybe next time I'm in John Lewis I'll see if they can demo it for me.

Not sure what TVs the trial is available on.  I think I read on another BBC page it needs to be a TV with built in iPlayer App, and also needs the set-maker to co-operate in some way in their implementation of iPlayer.  Mine's a year old Panasonic, running Firefox OS.

Ronski:
I'm going to wait for prices of 4k projectors to drop, only 4k kit I own are my Nvidia Sheild and my receiver/amp.

sevenlayermuddle:
It never matters how long I wait, it always turns out that if I'd waited a bit longer, I'd have got something better.

That said, my TV may have been a better buy than I thought.   I might be wrong, but I now understand the trial currently only appears on Panasonics, and only those that will show HLG.   That would suggest that my TV, while not conforming to any particular HDR tick box, may yet be capable of getting some kind higher dynamic range using HLG.   Its a cx680 series, fwiw.

The UHD/HLG preview does look absolutely stunning, breathtaking, and various other superlatives.   But it's wildlife scenes from Planet Earth, that look already pretty stunning no matter what hardware  you view them on.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version