Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: B4RN Directors' message  (Read 1670 times)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
B4RN Directors' message
« on: December 09, 2016, 12:42:42 AM »

Hello Gentlefolk,

I thought some of you might be interested to see a summary of the note sent to over 1,000 B4RN shareholders, together with a few of my own observations in (parenthesis).

B4RN are (I believe conservatively) forecasting that they will have over 3,000 active connections by the end of their financial year in April 2017.

(I understand there are extra numbers who have opted for just the fibre installation without a service as an insurance for their house prices and to protect the occupiers from excommunication when current lines fail.
The entire network is continually provisioned with sufficient switch ports to provide all new services immediately. However blanket coverage for every property depends upon local volunteers who are most active where properties have inadequate broadband provision. The aim is to provide every home and business with a Point-To-Point service to property boundaries as a minimum. Initial take-up varies between 65% to almost 100% with near-zero "churn" except for those moving house.)

The physical infrastructure is being reinforced with a full dual link between Manchester and Edinburgh so their entire network between distribution cabinets will soon be a (near unique ?) dual diverse-routed symmetric 1,000 Mbps service.
Consequently B4RN are getting a number of enquiries from other groups of inadequately served areas on both sides of the Border.

B4RN currently employ 14 staff together with a "large army" of cable installation volunteers.
The B4RN Management structure is being enhanced with an enlarged Technical and Managerial team consisting of another experienced Network Engineer and a new CEO but Prof. Barry Forde will continue then as CTO.

Kind regards,
Walter

EDIT Those who use Facebook might like to look at the photographs here. They demonstrate some of the extremes that some of the volunteers go to for "Difficult to reach" properties.

https://www.facebook.com/martyn.dews/posts/10209644421245715?notif_t=close_friend_activity&notif_id=1481300164672497
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 05:34:27 PM by waltergmw »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: B4RN Directors' message
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 05:08:46 AM »

Walter, is it possible for supporters to invest who are not themselves also customers (or volunteers) ?

I think it is inspiring what they are doing, and it has made me think.

Alternatively perhaps they would not turn a straight donation down.

If only we had something like that up here, instead of the disgraceful crap amateur con projects that are ‘available’ on in the local area. Maybe they might offer chargeable consultancy someday, obviously provided that it isn't a case of competitors right next door asking for tips.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 09:56:30 AM »

@ Weaver,

Indeed anybody can become a shareholder in the closed company.
I am their first, and millionth, shareholder and I am delighted to help up there whenever I can escape from darkest Surrey.
Because the Community Interest Company is a Government-approved EIS company any contributor is immediately rewarded by HMRC with a 30% tax rebate.
The shares can be redeemed only by B4RN themselves after 3 years when the whole amount at face value is returned.
That is an absolutely vital part of their constitution as otherwise the behemoth would have bought them out perhaps on day two !
Alternatively shares are rewarded with 5% p.a. compound interest, although that figure might be reduced depending upon the economic situation.
B4RN do also accept loans.

As it is, Local Authorities have, up to now, subsidised the behemoth to part-overbuild the B4RN network with seriously sub-standard meagre asymmetric services but I suspect that policy might well change.
Another important point is that the entire B4RN network is built with true point-to-point fibre.
That is why the original fully future-proof design**, unlimited by the monopolistic constrictions of exchange-based shared GPON, has "exploded" from a mere 8 parishes now to well over 50.
** Industry standard CWDM and DWDM (Coarse Wavelength and Dense Wavelength Digital Multiplexing) techniques provide almost limitless expansion capabilities.

B4RN are quite open about their designs which are not very complicated and do not involve any interconnection with telephone exchange switches (VOIP doesn't need a conventional exchange).
Their major success is due to their civil engineering approach often using semi-retired volunteers.
Those, mainly farmers, burying over 1 km of blown fibre tube are paid in shares for the work at £1.50 / m.
Fibre tube can be buried in sections as agricultural requirements dictate.
(You won't find much work going on during the lambing season either ! )
Only once a route is completed is the fibre cable purchased and installed.
B4RN (Together with Emtelle, their fibre suppliers) hold a few free "Show-Tell" days every year where anybody can see how their DIY network is being built but you must come with a good coat and wellies or walking boots.

Kind regards,
Walter

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 04:04:43 PM »

Thank you for the report. It is good to know that the project is "doing well".  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 10:02:44 AM »

Walter, the Facebook link seems to be broken
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 10:42:13 AM »