Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: How long does it normally take for the DLM axe to fall?  (Read 2434 times)

aesmith

• Kitizen
How long does it normally take for the DLM axe to fall?
« on: December 06, 2016, 02:17:13 PM »

Hi,

I was just wondering how long a high error rate needs to persist before DLM takes action to move the target noise margin.   I've noticed recently that our line has been running at 10s of thousands of ES per day (last three days 38,000 62,000 64,000 and today 38,000 so far).   However the Synch Status on A&A still shows ILQ as Green, for example at 14:08 today ...

BT Test xDSL Status Check:Pass OK.pass OK. Circuit In Sync
  BRAS=3000kb/s FTR=3200kb/s MSR=4000kb/s ServOpt=1 I/L=A
  THIS LINE IS STABLE AND WELL WITHIN ERROR/RETRAIN LIMITS FOR THE CHOSEN SERVICE OPTION (ILQ=GREEN)
  Up Sync=448kb/s LoopLoss=31dB SNR=19dB HIGH ErrSec=0 HECErr=0 Cells=7416
  Down Sync=3648kb/s LoopLoss=56dB SNR=8dB ErrSec=704 HECErr=0 Cells=7681

Not complaining about DLM's lack of response, more concerned that if it takes so long, then when it finally does intervene it's going to take forever to get back up to speed once the underlying line is fixed (if it ever is).

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: How long does it normally take for the DLM axe to fall?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 05:07:21 PM »

It's rather difficult so say.

My immediate thought is that one of the two reporting systems you have been observing is providing incorrect information.  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 06:48:30 PM »

My immediate thought is that one of the two reporting systems you have been observing is providing incorrect information.  :-\

Interesting.  That snapshot I showed looks consistent with what DSLstats is saying about ES, and that in turn more or less corresponds with CRCs which have been running around 60-70 per minute.   My DSLstats are uploading under the username "aesmith" in case you can spot anything awry there.

Although having said that DSLstats now shows errors having dropped right off.

Will that BT KBD report use statistics detected by the DSLAM, or are the figures reported from my modem back to the DSLAM/DLM?   Just wondering if my router is misreporting.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 06:57:54 PM »

My DSLstats are uploading under the username "aesmith" in case you can spot anything awry there.

I'll gladly take a look . . . after my evening meal.  :eat:

Will that BT KBD report use statistics detected by the DSLAM, or are the figures reported from my modem back to the DSLAM/DLM?   Just wondering if my router is misreporting.

My understanding is that each end of the link notifies the other end of the link and then the DSLAM provides the combined data for the DLM's consideration.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 01:57:39 PM »

Just got alerts for a one minute drop of the circuit, and looks like BT has now noticed there's something up ...

Today 13:52:26   BT Test xDSL Status Check:Pass OK.pass OK. Circuit In Sync
                 BRAS=3000kb/s FTR=3200kb/s MSR=4000kb/s ServOpt=1 I/L=A
                 UNABLE TO REACH THE CHOSEN SERVICE OPTION BUT WILL CONTINUE TO FUNCTION UNDER DLM CONTROL (ILQ=R)
                 Up Sync=448kb/s LoopLoss=31dB SNR=19dB HIGH ErrSec=0 HECErr=0 Cells=5158
                 Down Sync=3776kb/s LoopLoss=56.5dB SNR=9dB ErrSec=701 HECErr=0 Cells=4356

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 10:10:26 PM »

When I checked, earlier, I noticed that there had been no uploads to MDWS between 1307 and 1907 hours. Was that planned?

Anyhow, looking at the SNRM, FEC, CRC, Hlog and QLN plots it is the FECs and CRCs which are somewhat disappointing. That may be a result of the problem which the BT monitoring software has noticed.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 10:36:54 AM »

When I checked, earlier, I noticed that there had been no uploads to MDWS between 1307 and 1907 hours. Was that planned?
I think we may have had a power cut, possibly that was why the DSL dropped for that minute.  However when I came home the PC was shutdown, hence no MDWS uploads.   I'm assuming the high error rate is due to the noisy PSTN line.