Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Symmetrical 5-10 Gbps cable broadband entering trials in 2017  (Read 2238 times)

niemand

• Kitizen
Symmetrical 5-10 Gbps cable broadband entering trials in 2017
« on: December 05, 2016, 11:14:12 PM »

I appreciate most people don't care about extra bandwidth until their service is inadequate and whatever Openreach offer is perfect but for that 5%:

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Symmetrical-510-Gbps-Cable-Broadband-to-Enter-Trials-Next-Year-138461

One of the key disadvantages of cable has long been its topheavy nature, or the fact users' upstream speeds are notably slower than their downstream speeds. Initially offering 5 Gbps down and 1 Gbps up, and with plans to nudge that to 10 Gbps down, 1 Gbps up -- the DOCSIS 3.1 standard goes a long way in pushing cable broadband into fiber to the home territory. But according to CableLabs, the organization is cooking up plans to finally make cable broadband connections fully symmetrical over the next several years.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: Symmetrical 5-10 Gbps cable broadband entering trials in 2017
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 06:07:45 PM »

interestingly VM are doing some work at the cabinet across the road of which has merited loads of stuff surrounding it to be put up to isolate the area, and i have seen new cables been pushed/pulled but other then that cannot see much.  I might ask them tomorrow what they doing.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 05:18:32 PM »

Odds are they are splitting a node and pushing fibre from wherever to that cabinet. The really cool part is that once there's fibre to that cabinet it's likely the node will be upgradeable in the field to DWDM so they can logically split it if there are multiple trunks coming off it.

Leicester is a very strange case. It was pure coaxial not all that long ago. ntl deployed fibre into the network to split those service groups and VM are in turn deploying fibre deeper to split the overly large coaxial service groups.

Either way good news for you guys. VM are investing in deeper fibre in Leicester which has to be a good thing.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 05:21:58 PM »

Just as an addendum please ignore the majority of you. This stuff doesn't involve Openreach or FTTC so is clearly worthless in the grand scheme. Deeper fibre should be considered as anathema and treated accordingly. VM should clearly just be installing higher capacity nodes in existing fibre termination sites and are silly to be pushing fibre deeper into their network.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 06:51:14 PM »

Yeah thats what I was guessing as well a node split.

So the Leics original build of been almost all coaxial as I suspected may have been the cause of all the congestion around here, but this looks like there could be massive performance improvements on my street given how close this fibre is.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 06:58:53 PM »

Just as an addendum please ignore the majority of you. This stuff doesn't involve Openreach or FTTC so is clearly worthless in the grand scheme. Deeper fibre should be considered as anathema and treated accordingly. VM should clearly just be installing higher capacity nodes in existing fibre termination sites and are silly to be pushing fibre deeper into their network.

What I find really stupid about openreach is there lack of flexibility on local network layout.

e.g. there is openreach fiber just across the road from me, with some network rearranging I could have had VDSL from the openreach cabinet across the road (yes is very close to VMs cabinet) and likewise the fibre is already there for a g.fast node on my pole, but the rigidness of how openreach work means it isnt used in that manner.

If VMs performance does really improve with this work they done, they I might be seen to be switching sides again, will check with my neighbour how his VM is going next week.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 07:04:37 PM »

So the Leics original build of been almost all coaxial as I suspected may have been the cause of all the congestion around here, but this looks like there could be massive performance improvements on my street given how close this fibre is.

No, not almost. Huge swathes of Leicester were all coaxial originally. There was zero fibre just massive coaxial cascades until ntl started breaking it down in the mid noughties.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 07:09:39 PM by Ignitionnet »

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 07:08:40 PM »

If VMs performance does really improve with this work they done, they I might be seen to be switching sides again, will check with my neighbour how his VM is going next week.

Not going to speak for the rest but you may want to give this some more time. Remember that even when the node is optically split VM still need to connect the splits to separate ports on line cards on the upstream and provision separate service groups on the edge QAMs downstream. This isn't immediate.

That said hopefully the split once it's complete with capacity deployed to however many service groups have been split off will alleviate the long-standing issues in your area. Leicester has been a nightmare of issues with power, cooling and space in the headend combined with needing to pull fibre deeper into the access network to split massive nodal areas due to the heritage of the network but hopefully nearing a solution with next generation CMTS delivering up to 24 downstream channels and 4 upstreams, along with deeper fibre to reduce nodal area sizes.  :fingers:

anything